Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Baked Fish ….. and not?

This is really an embarrassing story …… Remember I said that I want to try Baked Fish with Mashed potatoes for Angel lunch here? I did ……. But I guess not 100% done!! Well ….. I did get some Cod and I did baked the fish filet as planned, with some fresh rosemary + some garlic and side with some potatoes and carrots …… and it was in the oven (as you can see from the picture) for 20 minutes, etc all as planned, but when I took the fish out, oh my, it’s not even half cooked yet and Angel was tailing behind me crying for her ‘Muum muum’ (which I wasn’t planned at all!) Yeah …. I panicked!! My baby is hungry, crying and pulling my pants and with the fish not even half done in the oven for 20 minutes already, who knows how long more it will take so with a crying baby in the kitchen, finally I’ve decided to place the whole thing into the steamer!!! That’s it …… no more baking!!! Obviously my oven is not meant to do express meal, sigh! So there goes the fish (sitting on the ‘baking’ foil LoL) into the steamer for around 15 minutes, after it was finally done (phew!), I have a taste on the fish. Hhhmmm …… I do not know whether is the Cod fish or the seasoning doesn’t matched, the entire dish just taste so bland and also taste a bit ‘weird’ to my taste to be franckly, LoL Maybe a little bit of butter is what’s lacking in the entire dish but too bad my Angel couldn’t take any milk based product due to her intolerance against lactose. Sigh ……

Angel is still crying for her “muum muum” (while hold on to a biscuit :P) so I just quickly mashed everything up, mashed the fish, mashed the carrots and mashed the potatoes and also topped with some lettuce, Angel’s lunch for today is done finally! While I am still worried whether she would like her first “Western Cuisine” from mommy, she seems to attracted to the look of her meal because it is not the normal pale looks of her porridge. On her first taste, she peeked into her feeding bowl to have a good look on her new food and wanted a second attempt then another peek into her bowl ….. Ok …. Ok …. She is doing fine, and third and fourth feeding ……. And she actually finished the whole meal and seems to want for somemore. Well, I am happy that she actually like the taste despite I personally do not think they taste nice for an adult’s taste buds but I guess that’s what different between babies and grown ups. For babies, they wanted a new taste and wouldn’t mind to explore more on the food if they see the food was nicely presented with all different colours. No wonders even a sliced of bread or a simple hard boiled egg, some really expert mommies really put in so much effort in making them look cute and nice to eat in those fancy Winnie the pooh shapes or Hello Kitty Shapes, etc …….. even they tasted the same in the end. I have seen some even decorated their kids rice into something we normally don’t see even in a restaurant. I think I’ve learn some useful lesson today, 1st Mommy has to be more innovative in toddlers food, 2nd The looks might win some points back if the taste is not perfect and vice versa :) :) 3rd and the most important lesson, never to try new recipes when your baby is hungry! LOL

10 comments:

cre8tone said...

I'll remember ur 3 points in mind.. especially the 3rd 1.. never try new food while bb is hungry... hmm...
btw, ur food still look tempting!~ haha... Can't imagine u still can come out with this while angel's so hungry~~

Mummy Gwen said...

Look's yummy to me..mmmm...Yes, baking takes long time to cook. I think when u steam fish, u should put a little bit of ginger to get rid of the fishy smell. maybe coz u baked then steam so the taste bcome different? Anyway, Angel still wallop it so it should be pretty good. ;)

Serene said...

Hahaha!!
Angel is so smart ya.. pulling your pant asking for "mum mum".
If for Xixi, i think she will just ignoring me and continue to play with her toys.

Anyway, good try. I agree with you, toddler really likes to try anything that new to them. So we as a mummies, must think and think more new foods for them!

MommyAngel said...

Hi PeiWun, hahaha .... looks tempting but taste not so tempting, maybe rosemary doesn't go well with cod fish?

Mummy Gwen, Ya ... maybe I should add in some ginger if I know I am going to steam them, hehehe ..... I started off as a baked fish and really didn't expect my baked fish to end up in the steamer LoL

Hi Serene, eating + playing + TV is everything for my Angel!! If you tell her mama will give muum muum, she is even willing to tidy things up for you ;) ;)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I never try to bake any food coz my house dont have an oven. So I dont have much idea about the baking matter.
But I think your meal definitely look nice. Makes me wanna to eat also..

MommyAngel said...

JT, hahaha .... thanks for you kind words :) Because I read from the internet that it is more healthy to cook baby food that way apart from steaming so heart itchy want to try and see lo .... who knows end up this way, hahaha. Good experience though but I will never give up LOL

Julie said...

Haha....so you've learned a lesson here. We have an impatient baby, yeah? I can imagine how kelam-kabut you were. Anyway, you did a good job coz Angel finished up everything.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Hi Caroline, I am telling you the truth leh..the dish really makes me wanna eat..hehe
I think sooner or later I will also buy a oven. I think is more convenient in preparing bb food.

MommyAngel said...

Hi Julie, yeah .... you should see me in the kitchen that day, hahaha ..... a panic mommy + a crying baby = a big chaos!!

JT, I am not sure la but I feels that oven takes much longer time to prepare baby food leh. Then I was also wondering will bb be heaty if eating food from oven?

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

ooo..is it ar? Erm....i also have no idea whether eating the foods bake from oven will heaty for bb or not..sorry cant help!