Sunday, August 31, 2008

Fishhhhh …Fishhhhh, Here I come!

To try or not to try …… I have been struggling with whether to introduce fish to Angel for a very long time due to Angel’s never ending allergy problems. So after consulting with her paediatrician, I decided to give it a go and see whether her body can accept the food or not. This has been the 2rd day of feeding her with the fish porridge and I must say that I am very relief to see she is doing very well so far.

I have chosen the red snapper for her first attempt because that’s the only fish I could find yesterday. To maintain the natural flavour and nutrient from the fish and also the vege, this round I am steaming them instead of putting them into her porridge (also just in case Angel don’t likes them). On 1st day, the filet was steamed for 15 minutes with some ginger and also some green vege but I think the taste is a bit bland without any seasoning (I am trying not to introduce any salt or soy sauce to Angel for as long as I could but try looking for other natural substitutes). She does like the fish but she ate with a slower pace. So on the 2nd day today, I experimented to add in some Chinese Wolfberries (gou qi) just for some extra flavouring and the fish actually turn out more then fine! She loves her porridge with the fish and the sweetness from the Chinese Wolfberries actually does helps to bring out the natural flavour and sweetness of the filet. I am glad that she can now have another choice of protein intake other then the pork or the chicken. Cooking fish porridge is much more easy then the other meals which I prepared for her. As for tomorrow, I suddenly have an idea of maybe I would try to baked fish filet with some ginger and few pinches of fresh rosemary leaves on top and served with mashed potatoes with broccoli florets? I am not sure yet ……. Anyway, 2 more days to go for the ‘4 days wait rule’ testing for food allergy and I am hoping for the best!


11 comments:

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Such a good idea. I never think of steaming fish for Sarah. I have one Ikan Merah (Is it called Red Snapper in English?) in freezer, maybe will do it this way..

The dish definitely looked yummy. May I know what vege that you have used? So, you just have fish, ginger, gou chi, thats all?

Serene said...

Yum! Yum!!
Caroline, red snappers is 红枣鱼??
I likes fish too, but Xixi doesn't! The fish porridges picture looks very tempting leh.. wanna try it. heheh!

By the way, i'm interested in your next menu for Angel.. sounds yummy too! Don't forget to post more pictures here, k!

Serene said...

Oh... forgot! The Hello Kitty bowl looks so cute too! I believe the cutie bowl will make Angel has better appetie!

Mummy Gwen said...

Wow..looks yummy ler. I used to steam fish separately from the porridge last time. Now, I just dump everything in the pot and cook together with the porridge but I make sure the fish is to be put last about 15-30 mins before serving...Hehe lazy mummy.

2xMum said...

Waa... the porridge looks yummy!!

I did that before by steaming the fish separately for Ryan. But my mil says no need to do the double work wor...

She didn't steam the fish but just added in few slices of fillet into the slow cooker for about 30 mins to cook before feeding the porridge to Ryan. According to her adding in the fish last is the best as cooking too long the fish not nice to eat already wor...

MommyAngel said...

JT, So have you try out your ikan merah for Sarah already? How is it? I think it ikan merah = red snapper gua, not so sure, hehehe. I used pak-choi for the vege and chopped it into tiny pieces. Yup, the ingredient is only fish, ginger and gou chi, that's all. If Sarah has started soy sauce / salt, might be ok to add a bit also but I think it is fine without any seasoning la :) Happy trying ya :)

Hi Serene, sorry … I am not sure about the Chinese name of the fish but I guess it is something like what you’ve said coz I heard my parents said something like “hong-chau”. So did you try that out for Xixi?? How’s the taste compare to normally you just add the fish into the porridge??? Hehehe … you like the Hello Kitty bowl too ah? Last time I have a lot of Hello Kitty collection but once move house, don’t know all gone where already :)

Mommy Gwen, so how’s the porridge taste when you steam it and put into the porridge? Any difference? I think I will also dump the fish into the porridge in the future coz lama-lama lazy liao ma, hahaha …….

Ho Doreen, thanks for the tip about putting the fish into the porridge 30 minutes last, I will remember that :) Ya lor … I think I will add in the fish into her porridge too next time to avoid the double work but this round, I just want to taste whether there is any different when steam it and put it into the porridge. This is her first attempt on fish so better to steam it separately just in case she don’t like the fish then I still can mix her porridge with something else, but once she is ok already then all-in-one porridge that is, hehehe :)

cre8tone said...

Wow!~ Really colourful and looks real yummy~~~ Even I also thinking of wanna try and eat... I'm sure angel will love it!~

p/s mummy gwen, I oso put everything inside the porridge and cook... lazy lazy.. hahahah~~

Mummy Gwen said...

Caroline, if steamed the fish separately it's more juicy but dump everything also tasted ok.;) but make sure add the fish last when serving so it won't overcooked.

MommyAngel said...

Hi PeiWun, I think in near future, I will do like you too :) :)

HI Mumy Gwen, thanks for the tip ya. I will remember that. I wonder if I reheat the porridge later in the evening, will the fish be a bit over cooked?

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Talk about this dish, I havent start to cook. I kinda of forget about it again...gosh! poor memory. So now the fish is still sit inside my fridge.
Sarah hasnt start with soy sauce yet. Is ok, i think I will feed her with just like that.
Thanks ya!

MommyAngel said...

JT, u r welcome :)