Saturday, August 01, 2009

Portuguese Egg Tart [pix updated]


I am not going to share about my egg tart baking tips this time but instead, I would like to jot down my first ever hilarious moment in my baking journey :P

In order to make sure that the pastry (outer skin of the egg tart) to be well cooked, some did advised us to pre-baked the skin for 10-15 minutes, then only add in the egg liquid in the middle and into the oven once again. I follow just that, prepare the skin nicely into the greased mould (I use the aluminium cupcake foil mould which is a BAD IDEA) and it took me quite an effort to make sure the skin stay put, pop it into the oven and baked with so much anticipation waiting for the next step to be done i.e. adding the egg liquid! As I was checking on those egg tarts, to my horror I saw that the pastry doesn’t wish to stay on to the side of the mould and instead, starts ‘shrinking’ in the oven, immediately my heart was screaming “Noooo !!!! Ohhhh Nooooooo !!!” but I can’t do a thing but to watch my nicely shaped pastry keep shrinking from a cup shape into a smaller circle shape pastry lying flat in the middle of the mould when it’s out from the oven!!! Oh ..... GREAT!!!! *Feels like bagging my head on the wall*

What to do, since it’s already shrunken so much but I told myself to be POSITIVE, at least the pastry still fit nicely at the bottom of the mould so I guess I will just have to settle with the tarts with pastry only at the bottom but not the side then (some sort like a cheesecake where the crunchy base only at the bottom) So feeling a little motivated again, I start working with the egg liquid and praying that my tart will still look ok without the pastry on the
side and start pouring the egg liquid one by one carefully into the mould. 1st mould done, 2nd mould done, 3rd mould done and when I came to the last mould …… suddenly I noticed something strange happened to my 1st tart coz it doesn’t look right!! OMG ….. what the ....... guess what, the pastry at the bottom decided that it doesn’t want to stay at the bottom either, and floated up to the top of my egg liquid instead!!! That goes the same with the 2nd and 3rd and the rest of my tarts!!! Some pastry even do a 45 degree or a 90 degree vertical float in the middle of the egg liquid!!! Uurrrghhhhhh …… !!!!! What have I done???!!!!!! How to bake the egg tarts with the pastry half floating on the top??? Tell me ~~~??!! #$%^& *head banging hard on the wall* Hubby still with a cheeky smile walk into the kitchen and asked me what’s that on my tray …… auurrggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! I really feel like biting him at that point :P However, the tarts turned out quite tasty although a bit too sweet apart from the indescribably ugly 'different' looks (have you seen an upside down egg tarts before??) :P

^ ^ My disastrous 1st attempt >"<
I can't believe that I am actually posting these pictures up here ;P

So for my 2nd attempt, no more greasing on the cups and I make sure that the pastry sticks to the cup like a glue before I pre-bake them and once I saw they starts shrinking, I quickly pull them out of the oven and pour in the egg liquid :) The final outcome is as the picture above, looks ok right?? The tarts taste great after I have cut down more then half the sugar stated in the recipe. I am glad that my 2nd bake turns out pretty well as hubby was having one egg tart after another :P :P.

I wonder is it only me who has such disastrous experience in the baking history? Hahahahaha …… Happy weekend everyone :) :)

19 comments:

MeRy said...

Dun give up,Caroline...Sure u can make it one day and don't forget to share the egg tart with me.Ok?

CathJ said...

Frankly speaking.... NOPE you not alone... ;-p

Cynful Pleasure said...

I like egg tarts.. and thanks for sharing.. frankly speaking, you are not alone for all this baking experiences... :p And, please send some over if there are still leftovers ya... :)

coffeesncookies said...

LOL ! I can imagine you by the oven praying for the tarts. I would scream murder too if I see the pastry fall flat ! Baking needs trial and error. I baked my first banana cake 20 yrs ago, it didn't rise, flat and heavy like a pudding, so disappointed and i never baked any cake until recently. :)
The tart looks good. Keep up the good job.

mNhL said...

The egg tarts really look delicious. Can sense your sastifaction on your hard work.

Esmeralda said...

You make me drool Caroline.. I love egg tarts... Haha.. what a hilarious baking moment ya... you are really talented in baking and cooking lar... So did Angel have any of the tarts?

Merryn said...

hehehaha Caroline, your hubs very cheeky there. Your second bake looks satisfactory enough. And knowing how patience you are with food, you'll definitely be a tart queen one day! :)

Serene said...

Caroline, you are one rajin mum!! Your second attempt looks great lah!

Mummy Gwen said...

Wah...baking egg tarts so complicated eh..hehe. Your 2nd attempt looks perfect!

Mummy Ryan said...

Caroline tats y i said u very good in cooking..everything you can cook, never mind don't give up k...people said "practice make perfect"..

Mommy to Chumsy said...

ahhhh....at least now you got some lovely egg tarts after several attempt :) practice makes perfect huh?

Oliveoylz said...

Could tell your 2nd attempt was a huge success with your hubs eating tart after tart non-stop! Btw, I like your new header :)

Ann said...

Practice makes perfect! YOu know so many times I had to throw out the baking I made coz no one wants to eat!

my son vomit it out so more! So.....your is alright already! :)

Kristie said...

Caroline, no worries, u did well! :)

I have my fair shares of disasters in the kitchen too :)

MommyAngel said...


Mery, thanks :)

Cath, oh … then lets share your ‘disasters’ too to make me feel better, kekekekeke :P :P

Cynthia, glad to know that I am not alone :) Pls share too next time as to make me feel that I am not alone, kekekekeke  Just joking ya dear :)

Coffeesncookies, Oh dear …. Your banana cake really makes you really disappointed and no baking until recently ya? Hahahaha …. Actually I have the same feelings too when I first saw my tart and told hubby I will never ever bake any Portuguese tart ever again!! But guess what, the next day I am marching into the kitchen and swear that I will nail this recipe down until I success, hahahahaha!!!

mNhL, thanks dear :)

Esmeralda, Angel did not have the tart because I think that it’s too sweet for toddlers (adults….. nevermind la, hahahahaha). Don’t want her to know that there is something that sweet and nice apart from her coke!! :P Maybe next time when I really reduced the sugar lo :)

Serene, thanks dear :)

MummyGwen, thank you ~~~

MummyRyan, ya … I will practice and practice until I get it right :) Thanks for the encouragement :)

Mommy to Chumsy, thanks :) Ya … practice does makes perfect :) *wipe sweat*

Oliveoylz, thanks for the comment on my new header :)

Ann, oh … you did throw out your baking several times ya? I guess I am not alone here and should I say that I am ‘glad’ to know that?
- You must be joking!! Your son vomit that out??? Hahahahhaa ….. what’s your bake that day? It can’t be that bad …… :P :P But it’s really funny to read :)

Kristie, I guess I am not alone :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Caroline, you are not only patient in educating Angel, you are also patient in baking.

If I encountered the same problems as yours, I will surely give up for the very first attempt.

MommyAngel said...

Joanne, oh thanks so much of all your kind words dear :) You are one extremely nice mommy :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I am nice in giving comments but not nice to Sarah. Hehe.

MommyAngel said...

Oh Joanne, don't say that! I think you are the greatest mom to Sarah leh and I am sure Sarah will agree too :)