Sunday, July 05, 2009

Coca-Cola Chicken Dish


Another new dish for my 'Baby Boy' and Me .........

I love Coke and everything with coke from the 'Cola Lollipop' during my childhood years to now the cool and freezy Coke straight from the pump / fridge in a hot sunny day. Maybe that explains my ‘size’ I am right now (Urrrrggghh!!!!!) but I just can’t resist the feeling of the sweet and fuzzy drink flashing down my throat giving me the most satisfied and cooling sensation in the hot weather nowadays. But somehow, my carbonated bottle of coke in the fridge doesn't last very long and before I could get to finish 1/2 of it, it turn ‘gas-less’ already and hence, drink it would be such a horrible experience and throwing it away would be such a waste! Therefore, I am so happy when I saw the sweet mommy HN is sharing this lovely recipe in her blog here and cannot wait to try out my own ‘COLA’ Chicken :) Here is what I do with my first and ever Coca-Cola Chicken Dish :)

*****************************************

Ingredients:


(a) Main:
2 chicken thighs (Cut into desire size)
1 whole garlic (Peel and Smashed)
Few slices of Ginger
Few Stalks of spring onions (white stalk only)
1 Star anise (optional but I think it bring out the taste of the dish)
1 can of Coke (around 325 ml)
Soy Sauce to taste
Oil

(b) Seasoning
Soy Sauce
Chinese cooking wine
Corn Flour


Methods:
1) Marinate Chicken with all ingredients in (B) Seasoning, rest aside
2) Heat up wok with oil, add garlic, ginger and spring onion, stir fried until fragrant
3) Add in Chicken and continue frying for few minutes, add in some soy sauce to taste
4) Pour in can of Coke and add in Star anise, mix well
5) Once boiling, turn to medium heat and let it simmer for 30 – 40 minutes until sauce is thicken, stirring if necessary
6) Once sauce thicken up, stir fry in high flames until chicken were well coated with the sauce
7) Serve with rice

*****************************************

My first and ever COLA chicken dish turn out to be as nice and tasty as HN promised :P My 'Baby Boy' really like this dish and of course ........... A big thank you to HN for sharing such a nice and delicious recipe with me :)

p/s: Did you notice that my chicken is so dark in colour?? It’s because the ‘kepoh’ me wondering why my dish looks so pale in colour in the middle of the cooking process (not patient at all la!!) so I decided to add in some dark soy sauce hoping to ‘beautifying’ the colour. It does looks much better at the beginning but once the dish starts to thicken up, the sauce changes to a darker colour, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! >.<
p/s2: Please don't use Diet Coke for the dish or it will taste bitter >.<

21 comments:

Mommy to Chumsy said...

wow, yummy!!! i've seen this coke chicken recipe before but haven't tried it. thanks for posting..i'll try it out soon :D

Esmeralda said...

Yummy yummy... But I do wonder what's the role of the Coke in this dish? Is the taste of this dish like the soy-sauce chicken that we usually cook? Haha.. need to verify before cooking for my ever-picky-eating hubby..

CathJ said...

Wow...thank you for the recipe... Pls don't delete any of your recipe here ya.. Coz If I am thinking of trying new menu... your blog will be 1 of my reference... ^_^

Wow you like my sister (Staying in Canada)...Love Coke!!!!! I just can't drink it... my throat and nose will feel pain if I drink it T_T... My fav gas drink is 'orange' only...hahahhaha....

Mummy Gwen said...

You finally cooked this dish..hehe. Looks so delicious. The recipe is simple too. Thanks for the tips. :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Good job Caroline. I have tried the recipe before, but mine turned out to be lil sweet.

Mummy Moon said...

Very good try! I never eat coke chicken before :(

Ann said...

ooohhh....tastes and looks good!!! I think my hubby will love this dish....now let's see if I can use one of his cokes!

Administrator said...

wow...very innovative indeed!

LittleLamb said...

thx for the tips. i will surely try this out..

Health Freak Mommy said...

I must try out this dish too. I think my gals will love it.

Anggie's Journal said...

oh yah, i do come across this recipe too . but haven try yet. sound and look yummy .... :P

Unknown said...

looks os yummy. i also want to try it out one day. never eat this before.

Merryn said...

ur chicken looks good... i wan to try too.. but i dun know what is chinese wine... haih..

u flying again? how long will u be 'gone' this time?

good luck, n dun let angel play with sanitary napkins again kay? LOL..

cre8tone said...

I dunno can cook with coke.. haha~ Great idea! :)

Serene said...

Wow, your version looks good! I came across this recipe from HN blog too, but belum give it a try yet.. hmm, must note down in my to-cook-list next!

MommyAngel said...

Mommy to Chumsy, let me know if you have tried it out ya :)

Esmeralda, some said the coke will make the chicken more tender but I can’t feel the difference la coz my chicken is very tender anyway :P Yes, the dish is some sort like Sweet Soy Sauce chicken with some slight taste of coke ….. do you like Sweet Soy Sauce chicken?

Cath, no problem :P How come your throat will feel pain if you drink it? How about 7-Up???? Strange ya … I love Orange carbonated drink too …..

MummyGwen, you tried this before too??

Joanne, mine turn out to be ok wor …. Maybe I can eat really sweet stuffs?

Mummy Moon, I am also the first time trying this :)

Ann, hahahahaha …. Of course you can if you are cooking for him :P

Contentedmom, Yes …. Wonder who come out with this dish at first :P

Rachel, wait for your posting ya :)

Healthy Freak Mommy, can’t wait to see the verdict from your girls :)

Anggie, yes … it taste good :)

Lovely Mummy, it’s my first time trying this too :)

Merryn, Chinese Wine is Xiu-Heng Wine …. Do you know that? Normally we use that for cooking Chinese dish, go to the groceries store and they will tell you which one if you mention Xiu-Heng Wine.
- Ya lor …. Flying again, sien!!! But I will only be away for few day nia la …. But still, sien la. I think I have developed this phobia of flying already la :( :( :(
- Hahahaha ….. thanks for your advice and I will certainly refrain her from getting anywhere near to the sanitary napkins, yuckkksss!!!

PeiWun, try it out …. I am sure your Sean will love it too :)

Serene, me ngam ngam got extra coke in the fridge so I try it out lo. Wait to see your version ya :)

Lemonjude said...

I'm cooking this today since many said nice. Thanks for the recipe..

will blog about it later..

Esmeralda said...

Yeah I love sweet soy sauce chicken, so I guess I'll try this dish when I get a can of Coke... ;)

MommyAngel said...

Judy, really? Can't wait to see your posting about it :)

Esmeralda, yes .... try it Esmeralda but don't expect it has a lot of coke taste in it oh .... but it certainly taste nicer then normal soy sauce chicken :) Good luck :)

Lybil said...

Aiyoh, now only I saw this post of yours :P Glad that you try it and love it :D

cheers,
HN
http://lybil1.free.fr

MommyAngel said...

HN, and thanks a lot of sharing such nice recipe with us ya :) I like it a lot :)