Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Bento#5: Sunflower Field Bento



I am browsing through a Japanese bento magazine in the bookshop and suddenly came across a lovely sunflower bento kyaraben hence decided to make one Sunflower theme bento for my 'Queen' too. I have used finely chopped baby corn in her porridge but never try steaming method but decided to give it a try. So the sunflowers were make up of baby corns and some of them I dye it with some beet root for a darker colour (some faded already when I steam them :P), while the stem of the sunflowers were made from thinly sliced French beans. As for the soil, lightly stir fried some beet root in the frying pan (coz I don’t know what else to do with it :P :P) while the middle part of the sunflowers were decorated with some kei-Ji (Chinese wolfberries) and carrots. A sun was added hoping to brighten up Angel's day and oh gosh …… now that I look at the picture then only I realised I have forgotten to give my sun the eyes and a sweet smile too >_< *slap forehead 5 times*

Angel is having a bento with Baby Corns, Carrots, French beans, finely chopped Beet Root at the very bottom, Spinach Meat Balls and some Cherries ^_^

For added protein + fibre, I make Angel a Steam Spinach Meat Balls seasoned with tiny bit of light sodium soy sauce and corn flour. I have added some Kei-Ji (chinese wolfberries) on top of the meat balls hoping to add some natural sweetness into it. As for fruits, I have some cherries in the fridge so it goes into her bento as well. Needless to say that this simple looking bento has taken me quite some time to complete again …… (Need more practising still :P)


I have retain some gravy from the steam meat ball and was added into Angel's rice before serving as my little ‘Queen’ doesn’t take rice very well without some soup in it. She loves everything but not the French beans :P The fried beet root surprisingly taste so sweet which added some flavour into her meal. Overall, I like this bento as much as Angel does ……. although she might not seen a real sunflower before but at least she has seen it in her bento for once :)

17 comments:

the little prince said...

Wah...another bento set!!

do U WANT TO open a bento decorating class? I want to register la!!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Ya, me too Caroline. I also want to register for the class..hehe.

The bento looked good and also very nutritious.

Mummy Gwen said...

Wow...you are so creative. NICE NICE NICE. Angel is so lucky. :)

Cynful Pleasure said...

wow.. Caroline... not just you and Angel like the bento.. me too! got class don't forget to inform me ah.. I come join too! :)

LittleLamb said...

I want to be ur daughter..to have bento meals... so nice...

Mama Mia said...

A bento set as colouful as this will bring a smile to anybody's face..:)

Soup/gravy is also a must-have in my daughter's meal..

Fussy mum said...

Wow, I like your bento set esp. the mini sunflowers....so lovely! :D Keep up your good work, ya...

ChloeRuoyi said...

Very, very, very nice... looking forward to more of your lovely creations :-)

cre8tone said...

lovely sunflowers! I'm sure Angel
'sapu' all the food :)

2xMum said...

wow.... so nice and looks yummy!! you're so creative and put so much effort in preparing the bento... Angel is so lucky to have such a nice mummy!!

Serene said...

Wow, another creative bento! Angel is so lucky to have you, Caroline! Wah.. I want to be your daughter too lah.. hahaha

Mommy to Chumsy said...

lovely bento. you are so creative :D

MeRy said...

Caroline....u r a bento expert...Can I be ur student??? Sure Angel love to see this bento set and can't wait to try it out.

Ann said...

Oh my Gosh....your dedication to making meals interesting it to be applauded!!!

UmmiRosma said...

I really love your bento my friend. I feel like making some, but too bad I can get the bento maker set here...
So does Angel always finish her meals?

Kristie said...

what a pretty sight! u are really good lah, really make the effort to produce such a beautiful meal :)

Angel is very lucky, she gets to eat all the healthy stuffs in a pretty fashion :)

MommyAngel said...

Thanks to all nice comments from lovely mommies *blush* I am not an expert la .... I am still learning as you can see, this is only my bento #5, hahahaha. But thanks for all the nice encouragement guys :) *hugs*