Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What An ‘Unforgettable’ Father’s Day :(

The sunny Sunday starts off just fine and we celebrated our Father’s Day in Safari World here in Bangkok where 3 off us are having so much fun and excitement. We return home quite late so we decided to have our dinner at home instead. So I asked hubby to bath Angel and keep a close eye on her in the living room while I can rush for dinner preparation after a tiring day.

Everything was almost done, so I pour the hot soup into 3 individual bowls, placing them at the very inner corner of the kitchen table top letting them to cool down a bit before moving them onto the dinner table in the living room. Angel has been extremely active lately and would climb onto our table and disturb whatever we placed there. I heard Angel’s voice coming out from the bath room after her bath so I continue with the cooking and then I was a bit surprise to hear that hubby was in the kitchen washing up the dirty dishes leaving Angel all alone in the living room. I don't feel right to leave Angel alone without knowing what she is up to coz she has been quite 'active' lately and would do almost anything that we forbidden her to do. So I worriedly ask hubby "Where is Angel? Why are you in the kitchen again? Don't leave her alone in the living room .... I think you better go out and keep an eye on her coz she has been pretty mischievous lately and .....” while turning around looking for her holding onto my cooking spatula still. OMG!!!!! I can’t believe my eyes when I turned and saw Angel is standing behind me in the kitchen reaching for her bowl of hot soup on the kitchen table top already. While I scream “NO!!!!” trying to stop her but it was too late, she got hold of the soup and the soup was already spilt all over the floor and also onto her hands!!!!! She was screaming helplessly but still trying her very best to balance her bowl of soup in her hands with more hot soup keep pouring onto her so I quickly grab the bowl and shout at hubby, “QUICK!!!! COLD WATER!! RINSE HER HANDS IN COLD WATER!!! FEET TOO!!! FEET TOO!!!” and hubby still MCC but still, grabbing the crying Angel to the toilet and rinse her hands while I keep saying “LOOK AT HER CHEST??? HER CHEST??? TAKE HER WET CLOTHES OFF HER SKIN!! IS HER CHEST HURT???” We quickly sat her down and check her all over. She was crying and shouting “BAO BAO!! MOMMY BAO BAO!!” with tears pouring down her face!! I was so terrified but my heart was a bit relief to find that her clothes is not wet at all …….. but both her hands, both feet and also a small patch of her lower chin turn so red after getting in touch with the hot soup. I quickly check again, no blisters and no skin peeling and I know she hates ice packs so I quickly ask hubby to grab for the minty toothpaste and apply sparingly onto both her hands and feet hoping that it will sooth her burns. Hubby rush to the pharmacy while I make the 2nd round check to make sure she do not need to be rush to the emergency ward ….. She was sobbing in pain and I can see that both her hands are still shivering uncontrollably and so are mine! I hug her close to me and I think I feel the pain more then she could feel it in her hands …….

Angel’s hands are still shaking when we apply some minty toothpaste on her hands, feet and a small patch on her chin while checking on her condition. From the picture, can see that the redness on her hands become less visible after ½ an hour, phew!

We are so relief to see that the toothpaste does cool down the burning sensation in her hands which stops her crying. We decided to clean her up and surprisingly, she doesn’t seems to feel the pain anymore and starts moving around and grabbing things again which I am so relief. So we apply the Aloe Vera Gel which hubby got from the pharmacy onto her hands and feet and also her chin again and again until she went to bed. The next day, the redness on her hands and feet are healing very well and living no sign of redness at all. When I pressed her hands and asked her if it's still painful, she said "No~~!" shaking her head ….. what a relief!!!! The red patches on her chin is also fading but I think the delicate facial skin will take few more days to be fully recovered. I hope it will not leave any marks and I really thank God of watching over Angel!

We covering her up with toothpaste on both her hands and feet and make her sit still on the chair watching her cartoon to calm her down. I think that is probably the one and only time that she is sitting there so quietly without making a move.

I think the soup must have been cool down a bit while sitting on the kitchen top after some time. And also maybe Angel is holding her soup bowl on both the ear of the bowl extending them far away from her body and not ‘pulling’ the soup down from the kitchen top which it will come pouring all onto her face and body if she does that. What a relief!!! Sometimes I really at wits end when it comes to letting hubby taking care of Angel even for a seconds as this is not the first time things happen when Angel is under his care, but I am more angry at myself for not being able to pay full attention to her every minutes and every seconds without help!!! Sigh!! Angel’s accident this round might seems to be just a minor one but the after shock which I go through really is such a nerve racking experience coz the moment when I saw the soup was pouring down at Angel’s direction, I really felt as if the hot soup was pouring down on me and felt the pain and it’s still there and will be there for quite some time. I don’t know how hubby is taking all these but I certainly feel so guilty for what had happened and I promise myself that this will be the very last time that this kind of accident carelessness is going to happen ever again!! I think hubby feels the same way I do too …….

What an ‘unforgettable’ Father’s Day we had :(

30 comments:

Mummy Gwen said...

OMG..I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm so relieved to hear Angel condition is not that bad. Don't blame your Hubs la..he must be very sad now. Just be EXTRA careful next time. Sometimes accidents do happen. I sincerely hope Angel will heal sooon. *hugs to Angel* Did you bring her to the paed?

LittleLamb said...

Its just an accident. Pls forget about it and dont blame yourself ok. Glad that Angel is OK, and she already said no pain..

*hugs* to u and angel.

Anggie's Journal said...

i do admit sometime is difficult to watch out for a 2 yo .. i do hv one at home. i know how u feel . But accident always hard to prevent.. just need to be extra k-ful .
Glad to know angel is all fine now.!!

cre8tone said...

Oh gosh! Sorry to hear about the accident and relief to know Angel is ok now.........

2xMum said...

Aww... poor Angel. Hope she's feeling better now.

Julie said...

Yeah, really thank God that she is ok now. Don't put the blame on anything. Just be more careful in the future. Advise also to remove any table cloth because they will tend to pull it then all the food on the table will spill over.

MeRy said...

Sorry to hear about what happened to Angel...lucky she is getting better now. Nextime pay xtra attention to her...never leave her alone. This is what I m telling myself as Ryan is getting active nowadays.

Cynthia said...

Caroline, you are already a good mum.. don't blame yourself la :D Angel will be able to quiet down later by herself.. she is just curious and want to explore :) Hugs to you and Angel..

Serene said...

Hope Angel is feeling better now. I hope it will not leave any scars/marks on Angel. You know, i felt so guilty cos Xixi got a scar on her left cheek due to falls.

Irene said...

wow, thank GOD angel is A OK! phew... my heart was pumping fast when reading this.... gosh! take care.

Mummy Moon said...

scary post.. lucky she is OK now.. really need to give full atttention at her..

Fussy mum said...

Sorry to know about what had happened to Angel. Luckily she's alright. Sometimes minor accidents like this do happen in the house. In future just be extra careful. Pls don't blame yourself and your hubs, ya :)

Mommy to Chumsy said...

oh no...poor angel. Thank God is ok now. Accidents happen so don't blame yourself, mommy.

Administrator said...

ooh...poor baby!...It pains me too...dont worry,she will be up and running in no time..take care ya

ChloeRuoyi said...

I fully understand what you mean by not being able to keep an eye on her every second of the day. That's simply too impossible so dun blame yourself too much ok. Just take it as a lesson learnt and be more careful next time. *hugs* and *kisses* for poor lil Angel. Luckily she's not too seriously scalded.

Merryn said...

oh yeah. toothpaste really work! i have a tube in the kitchen just in case! so sorry to hear bout angel. ur hubs must have felt bad too, so try not to be too hard on him. u have done all u can. sometimes accident do happens. i know it is hard for u as it saddens me too to see angel getting hurt like that. but it happened and just be thankful that nothing else major come out of it. take care n hugs to angel.

Mama Mia said...

poor Angel. with kids around, we just have to be extra carefull...glad she's OK liao.

Family First said...

Dont be too hard on yourself. Accidents do happen esp when at the age they tend to be adventurous. Dont worry dear.

nicole said...

i oso will feel the same way if anything happen to my dotters, i very tension to take care 2 of them
sometimes i canoot juz away coz sure they will fall down injure bleeding or simething hapen
wat to do... they canot out of my sight
*Hope cutie angel get well soon

the little prince said...

Glad that little ANgel is ok now. Just need to pay extra attention to them, me also pray hard every times when my boy doing those 'dangerous' stunt...make my heart drop sometime!! :-) I told my mum I will definately got heart problem when I'm old then!! :-p

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I am so so relief and glad that Angel is ok now. At least she has back to her normal activities.

Maybe Angel was hungry at that moment and trying to get the soup by herself?

UmmiRosma said...

I really pity her. I felt the pain in my heart too. However dont blame yourselg ..this thing happened with a lesson to be remembered forever. Thankful to the God that Angel is under his protection.

2ma said...

so sorry to hear that. i hope angel has fully recovered and have forgotten about the whole hot soup episode.

don't blame so much on yourself. that's life! i think after this incident, angel will not dare to climb up the table to grab things, especially those with liquid.

Lemonjude said...

Hope Angel is more ok now and take this as an opportunity to teach do not goes near to hot food n hot water anymore...it will cause pain...also block the kitchen area to be good...

I know how u feel too...for the terrible burn accident on my boy a year ago i still can't forgive myself...you can apply lotion or bio oil to sooth the hurt area...

Esmeralda said...

My God! What a tragedy! You must be really heart-broken with the accident. I can feel your pain too, last time when Ashton had his accident too..

So now what I do is I rather don't bother about houseworks and cooking that much, and pay more attention to him. Whatever it is, the houseworks and cooking can wait. Or we can just 'tapao' or order for delivery. What's more important is the safety of our child.

I do believe that your husband feels bad too with the accident...

I hope Angel has recovered completely from her scalding.. Poor girl! God bless!

Kristie said...

Glad Angel is ok! I would have been a state of panic too... '

accidents happen, no point blaming urself, just be extra careful, prevention is better than cure sometimes.

CathJ said...

OMG!!!!!!!! poor angel... accident do happens... *tears for angel...she must be in pain*

MommyAngel said...

Thanks to all for the comments and thanks for all the advice, encouragements and comforts :) Angel is healing well now, no scars or anything and I am glad :) This is an important lesson to us as parents especially hubby as he never expect such things could ever happen and that’s why he always take things lightly and said that I am overly worried. I guess after the accident, he did pay more attention when attended to Angel and I am glad to see that too :)
.
.
Serene, oh … I am so sorry to know that but I am sure there must be something that can be done to fade those scars coz xixi is still so young :)

Judy, actually I learn a lot from your blog too and that’s why I keep the hot soup in the kitchen to cool it down before bringing them out to the dinning table just in case. I am glad that Angel is alright or else …….

Esmeralda, ya … I have the same thinking as you too and that’s why I thought I can have some help with hubby around and guess I am wrong. But hey, we did learn a good lesson this round and prevent anything worst from happening, I am really thankful!

Aunty J said...

oh my goodness....i can feel your pain carol...i would feel the same to if i were in your shoes...poor lil angel...feel like kissing her hands and feet better...poor baby...

MommyAngel said...

Thanks Aunty J for visiting :) I am glad that she is completely heal from her burn and learn an valuable lesson for both of us parents and herself too :)