Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Bento#3: Anpanman Tomato Rice Bento

When talking about fixing a bento for young toddler like Angel’s, it really is quite challenging for me due to the reasons:

1) Angel’s solid are porridges still. (Anyone came across a porridge bento before?? LoL Maybe I should try it someday …. Ya! I think I should :P)
2) I am trying not to use process food as much as possible in her daily meal.
3) Angel is allergic to all diaries, nuts and seafood which means food like cheese / fish balls, etc is out of the question.
4) She is a meat person and don’t really fancy veggies, raw or cooked unless I hide them inside her food.

So I guess I am left with not much of a choice to pack a variety of bento for her for the moment being. But somehow, I feels that I need to start now so by the time that Angel attended kiddy, I would have gotten a better idea on how to fix a proper bento and will not take ‘forever’ just to fix her something simple and nice. I am pretty slow in preparing bento at this moment and absolutely no idea on what to make for her most of the time. Some very dedicated bento-ing mommies really are extremely creative and very talented ….. I am pretty amazed!

So after some thoughts, I think I should start with the cute Anpanman! Anpanman is one of the most popular anime cartoon characters in Japan at this moment and I think his chubby face looks very cute! This little superhero dedicates himself to the cause of justice and will allow those hungry and in need eat his face which is make of anpan (bread fill with bean jam) which can be restored. Oh …. Yummy yummy!!! :) So in order to get the orange colour of Anpanman’s face, I have decided to make Tomato + Onion + Mince Chicken Rice using fresh tomatoes for Angel’s dinner. And at the sides, I have added some diced cucumber to fill in the gaps, some water apples decorated as flowers, half of a banana underneath those flowers, and some steam carrots as butterflies and on the cheeks. So that’s Angel’s Anpanman bento for dinner.

Angel’s Anpanman bento with Tomato + Onion + Mince Chicken Rice, Dice Cucumber, Water Apples and Bananas at the bottom.

When Angel opened up her meal, she was squealing with delights and dance a bit on her high chair until hubby asked me whether she normally behaves that way when she got her bento meal :) It’s such rewarding just by the look on my little girl’s happy face …… She kept looking at her bento and show me the eyes, nose and mouth until I need to asked her to ‘eat’. I did reminded her to eat the fruits (those flowers) very last but when I turned around, she quickly shove them into her mouth and pretended not to let me saw her munching on her fruits LoL Half way enjoying her meal, hubby took away the food picks and baran thinking to wash them and she scream and cry so loud until hubby put them back to where it belongs *laugh* I am glad that she likes her bento and polished off her meal in no time – all by herself without asking me to feed her that night.

31 comments:

CathJ said...

Hi my fren.. I am planning to send my boy to play school next year.. I am sooo nervous... lol... (1st time lah kata kan...)

Mummy Ryan said...

Ryan very picky on meat.....but for veggies he ok....normally if i wanna let him eat meat i need to mince the meat till he cannot see n mix with other foods...
Angel is " opposite" wth Ryan cz she like meat more than veggies....

Merryn said...

u certainly have much patience! lucky angel. give me those n i WONT eat them! too cute! :D

Lybil said...

You are one very good mommy :) This bento looks so professionally done, SO pretty! Bravo Mommyangel!

cheers,
HN
http://lybil1.free.fr

Cynthia said...

The Bento is so cute.. good that Angel love it, and this means, mummy got to get your creativity start to work... hehe... enjoy :)

Oliveoylz said...

I like your bento set. Very yummy looking. Can imagine ur cute little angel dancing on the high chair ;p

Fussy mum said...

The bento's lovely! Don't worry about being slow...soon you'll get better in doing it :) Have fun with bentos!

ChloeRuoyi said...

Great job there, mummy. The bento looks really appetising. I bet it tastes as delicious as it looks too :-)

the little prince said...

Wah...so yummy la....

Can I order one from you ka? :-)

Mummy Gwen said...

Wah..your bento looks very nice lah. Good job. Gwen saw the bento and asked me what is that..haha. I said rice. She said "Funny rice"(means the rice is smiling, very funny)..hehe. She loves it. You made me want to fix one for her..haha. Can imagine why Angel danced on her high chair..hehe.

cre8tone said...

Wow! So cute!~ I like ur bento!~

MeRy said...

Your bento looks yummy...Nextime I will try to some bento set dinner for Ryan too.

Bonnie said...

Wow, nice bento! You make me feel guilty. I make my NY resolution - to start making bento. It's already June, and non is done. LOL.
Keep up the good work. Look forward wt more bento. :)

Jacelyn Chew said...

yes, it's really happy and satisfied to see our children to like what we make for them. nice bento wor..... :)

Family First said...

All the sweat preparing bentos is totally worth it right?

LittleLamb said...

very nice. making me hungry now.
continue this bento journey for Angel :)

2ma said...

wow, your bento very nice leh!!! well done! i guess the happiest moment is to see the smile in angel's face and she finished everything!!!

Unknown said...

Wow, nice looking bento there. I've definitely haven't come this far. First time I heard of that japs cartoon.

2xMum said...

Wow... you're a talented mom too, Caroline!

I was inspired by you mummies and eager to try out bento-ing. However, my boy still not good at chewing yet. Pretty slow at eating food in chunks/coarse. All his food would be chopped/blended fine till now. Dunno when he's able to clean up the meal like Angel...

Anggie's Journal said...

cute and yummy bento ... so means u going to prepare more bento liau ..hihihih

MommyAngel said...

Cath, Oh ... your boy is going to pre-school next year ya … then you have more time to do your own stuffs then, how nice. I am still thinking on whether to sent Angel to pre-school yet :)

KC, I think Ryan is very healthy, veggies are very good for kids. I seldom heard kids don’t like meat wor … Angel is a meat person, she would eat all kind of meat with mouth open big and wide :)

Merryn, not that I have patience :P Just don’t want to put those bento ‘ka-lang-chang’ to waste coz I can’t stop myself from getting in more … it’s so addicting!

HN, Thanks so much … actually I love your bento for your hubby as well :) I certainly have to ideas on an adults bento :(

Cynthia, Thanks so much dear and thanks for dropping by :)

Olive, ya … it’s very satisfying when I saw Angel’s happy little face :) It’s so much easier to make a toddler feels happy :)

FussyMum, I do hope my speed will improve by time … or else I don’t think I will have much patience to continue with this bento journey coz it’s really taken so many time just to prepare one :)

Hweili, thanks dear.

Yugene, hahahaha …

MummyGwen, oh … Gwen asked you about the bento? Angel would not ask me any question so far leh … ya, I saw you got those bento tools already and maybe you will start your project soon? I think she will love it too :)

PeiWun, thank you so much!

Mery, oh … you also bought some bento tools already? Can’t wait to see your bento ya :)

Bonnie, Oh … take your time Bonnie as so much is going on at your side and now with a new online shop to run too. Anyway, all the best in your online stores ya and I will be waiting to see another bento mommy’s creation real soon :P

MummyInVain, thanks dear …

Family First, definitely worth it for sure! :)

Rachel, thank you so much :)

2ma, I am really happy to see my girl’s happy too :) Oh … I am so ‘mommy’ now :)

Jessie, actually it’s the first time I saw this cartoon, I kind of like it :)

Doreen, Actually Angel is also not very good in chewing or should I say lazy to chew. I also finely chopped most of her meal until today I start to feed her with larger chunk food to prepared her for the next level while I watch over her like an hawk just in case that she choke, hahahaha … I am a worried mommy :) Your Ryan is still young … my Angel maybe will have to attend pre-schools already next year so I need to be more prepared :) Your time will come soon too ;P

Anggie, ya … I do hope my passion over bento-ing will continue :)

Esmeralda said...

Way to go Caroline! You are really so creative in bento-ing! For me, I think I've given up without trying since I don't have much time in hand with my naughty boy around - so taking my sweet time bento-ing is definitely out of the question. Am glad that Angel loves her bento, and I think she can just polish everything off from her bento box everytime you make a bento meal for her. All the best! :)

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, creative ah? hahahaha .... not at all! But I really love to see the smile on her face when she opened up her bento box so I guess I have to keep going then :)

ya .... seems like you are pretty busy lately hor. If I am busy sure I will not even think of making any bento at all coz it's just too time consuming, that's why I only come up with 1 bento every month so far, hahahaha ....

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Very nice bento! Good start Caroline and I salute you for your creation. It surely taste good.

When will you plan to send Angel to kindergarten?

What is baran means?

Health Freak Mommy said...

Wow, your bento is so pretty. So sayang to eat it!

Esmeralda said...

Yeah... if our child show us their sweetest smile when they open up their bento boxes, it's such a great achievement for us.

Yup been very busy lately. Dunno when I can start bento-ing.. Haha.. luckily Ashton don't appreciate bento that much.. so I still have excuse to be lazy..kekeke...

Julie said...

Wah, so beautiful. Waiting for your porridge bento. I'm out of idea for porridge recipe.

MommyAngel said...

Health Freak Mommy, thanks for your kind words :)

Esmeralda, hehehe …. No rush! You will know when to start once you have time :)

Julie, so far no idea on how to do a porridge bento yet, sigh!

MommyAngel said...

Joanne, actually I am planning to sent Angel to pre-school next year, but then I think there will be a slight change of plans now.
- Baran is a plastic sheet normally used in a bento and its function is to separate the food from one another. Sometimes it can be use as bento decorations too. Can you see there is a plastic sheet of Chili, Carrots and bell pepper? That’s the baran!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I see.
Maybe wait till Angel 3 years old first?

Ok, now I know what is Baran. So can it be re-use?

MommyAngel said...

Joanne, yes ... the Baran can be re-use :)