Thursday, May 21, 2009

Something She Loves - Books and Puzzles

Angel loves books a lot but she has a short span of concentration, maybe 10 - 15 minutes maximum per session but she just loves them very much and would flip them and name those objects she recognised very loudly. Book shops are the place where I normally hang around now instead of toys department and I can sit there for hours just to pick up few books for Angel. If she saw me coming home with another brand new book, she would be screaming in joy and wanted to have a look what’s inside the book. Yes, that’s how happy my little girl is when I give her the book and I am more then happy to read her a story everyday :)

My very happy baby with her new book :P

Apart from the normal books, this is another type of magnetic sticker book which she absolutely adores ….. she would play with them everyday arranging those shapes into their designated place and name them one by one, telling me their colours and also trying to find the missing shapes out from the pages by sticking the correct magnets on it (i.e. Wheel – Circle, roof – triangle, etc). And each page comes with few line of easy to read wordings making a very simple story. This activity is very interesting for young toddlers like Angel training their eye hand coordination as well as learning shapes, colours, simple wordings, objects while having a whole great fun doing it! Even I will join in sometimes too :P

Sorting and identifing different shapes and colours on her magnetic sticker book

Apart from books, she also loves doing puzzle very much. This puzzle is not the same as those normal picture puzzles which I got but it's an educational jigsaw puzzle for young toddler where Angel gets to learn to match the same pair and also differentiate the LEFT from the RIGHT. I found this puzzle at a small bookstore in Bangkok. I first started the puzzle with her when she was 1 ½ years old. At that time, hubby still told me it’s too advance for her but Angel seems to be very interested in that and surprised daddy in just 2 days time where she completed the entire puzzle all by herself. Even now she still plays with it couple times per week :)

Trying to pair her puzzle :)

Then we proceed to the harder ones, matching the head to the body to different types of animals. I still remember vividly that Angel would scream in frustration and mess up all the puzzle throwing them all onto the floor when she was first expose to this puzzle because she can’t seems to get them right! LoL So as not to discourage her, I always showing her the correct matching ‘unintentionally’ so that she won’t reject trying them. And after 2 week +, she manages to complete the entire puzzle and name out all the 20 animals on the board such as Squirrel (kui-rel), Panda (Ah-daaa), Rhino (ai-no), Raccoon (koon), Fox (fox), Leopard (perd perd), etc but of course, in her not so ‘accurate’ pronunciations 2 weeks later following that LoL. Since then, she has completed 2 more different types of puzzles of the same kind and some other types of very simple puzzles but still, she would always take out and play with her beloved OLD puzzles whenever she 'misses' them now and then.

Matching the face and recognising animals

28 comments:

MeRy said...

The puzzle looks very good..too bad u get it at Bangkok,Dunno Msia got sell or not coz I feel like getting it for RYan too.

CathJ said...

woww...I love the puzzle... :-D

Mummy Gwen said...

The puzzles is actually quite challenging for ANgel's age. Well Done Angel. She is truly one smart gal. :D She is quite patient hor.

Esmeralda said...

Wow... You really have a smart and intelligent girl there Caroline. It's good that she loves book. Inculcating reading to her at such a tender age definitely is a plus sign for her as it will enable her to 'breeze' thru school easily for her love of books. I love the puzzles that you got for her. Too bad here they don't have ya.. else I might have stocked up quite a few by now. Her vocabulary is definitely growing too ya... Way to go Angel.. Keep up your good 'grades'! ;)

MommyAngel said...

Mery, you can have a look coz I think Malaysia will have the similar type of puzzle but different pattern maybe?

Cath, I love that puzzle very much too :)

Mummy Gwen, she is not patient at all actually, she gets frustrated sometimes but since she has mastered that quite few months already so she is more then happy to do it over and over again. In fact I also got her a 3 D puzzle but she has no interest to do that one, don’t know why.

Esmeralda, Angel is not smart actually … she is just those normal type I can see :) I think Malaysia should have this kind of puzzle but not the exact type la, I saw few in KL but forgot where I saw it already coz I wasn’t paying much attention to it since I have got them already. The fun thing about this puzzle is that it’s fun to do …… she will asked for them everyday when I show it do her which means she really loves it and have a lot of fun doing them. This puzzle is one of toys which I would definitely keep and pass to my no.2 “IF” I am so lucky and brave enough to have no. 2 la, hahahaha.

Mummy Ryan said...

I like the puzzle,look nice...Angel such a clever gal manage to do well in puzzle game.......well done Angel (unty KC proud of u...*clap2*...for Angel...)
Caroline, Ryan can ngam wth Angel cz Ryan also luv book so much..he like to see the colourful picture then we always bring him "lepak" at MPH 1-U(i like MPH if Compare wth Popular or The Border) cz MPH more choice for children's book..........Then hor if time to go bck he will cry n show his tantrum cz dun want to go back...hu hu hu..........

Administrator said...

wow. that is good training ground. Both Nicole and Ethan do not fancy puzzles. They lack patience.... :(

agnes said...

angel definitely is a smart gal!!!! :) and im amazed that she can learn and pay so much attention to the books!!!

chloe is different, noticed that i need to use a different way to teach her things.. though she is fast learner but not learning thru book but games that mama invented loh.. :S hahahaaa

LittleLamb said...

its a very good habit that u r teaching her... since her enthusiasm is there..continue to get her more books or educational stuff..

Mommy to Chumsy said...

clever girl. good that she likes books :D

Mama Mia said...

Good info. Thanks for sharing. :)

MommyAngel said...

KC, Ryan also loves boook? Can he read with his books for hours? Coz although Angel loves book but she can only read them the max 10-15 minutes only but I think it’s good enough for her. Angel will also cry when I drag her out from the book store but normally she will be messing up all those books rather then reading. She is easily distracted too. Maybe next time can let Angel and Ryan spend time and read some books together in the book store, hehehehe

Irene, some kids don’t like puzzles and Angel also do not like all types of puzzle, only certain type that she would play with, the rest she just simply tear them into pieces or twist off their connecting edges before she even started to put them together :(

Agnes, I am glad that Chloe is a fast learner. Angel is not a fast learner from my observation but I am glad that at least she is progressing well so far. You can invent games??? How nice ….. must be fun!! I have no idea to invent games to play with Angel leh so will normally ‘copy’ good ideas from books or other mommies blog :)

Rachel, yes …. Sicne I am a SAHM so I will have more time to look and do those educational activities with her coz when I saw her walk here and there doing nothing, I also pity her, she must have bored to death staying at home.

Mommy to Chumsy, thanks :)

Mama Mia, you are welcome and thanks for dropping by :)

cre8tone said...

Things angel loves are so good.. books and puzzles, both also very educational!~

Serene said...

Puzzle and books are really good for toddlers. I'm glad that Angel love it! Xixi loves puzzle so far, but will throw tantrum too at first when she not managed to fix things together. Wonder is the puzzles you bought from BKK expensive? Cos i was searching high and low for the quality puzzle here in Malaysia, but it is quite pricey!

Merryn said...

fuiyo! those stuff are like... complicated man! bravo angel! each time ethan sees puzzle, he'll take them and slot them back into the box. he thinks that is the way to play with puzzles no matter how many times i told him he is to join them up together! LOL!

angel is doing pretty well there! smart gal! :D

Esmeralda said...

Yup, Malaysian bookstores should have this one lar.. Haha.. next time u go Bangkok, you should export them over here, and sell them here...kekekeke..

#2? Haha... all the best... any sooner?

MommyAngel said...

Peiwun, thanks ~~

Serene, Xixi loves puzzle too? So how many pieces is she doing now? I can’t find those 2 or 3 pieces puzzle leh ….. got 1 6 pieces from Popular, looks easy but so hard to put them together even for myself …..
- Those puzzle I bought ranging from RM20 – RM30 per piece. I find that normally those interesting and good educational toys or puzzle is quite expensive but very worth the price :)

Merryn, not that complicated actually :) Ethan don’t like puzzles ya? Angel would also twist those connecting edges of those normal puzzles (one in each set) off which really making me …. speechless.

Esmeralda, hahaha …. Don’t think I can sell those in Malaysia coz it’s been overpriced here in Bangkok due to taxes, etc
- no sign of no. 2 yet so far, not so soon I guess, not until I settle down and find myself a maid first :) How about you??

Esmeralda said...

Oh.. the puzzles are very expensive? Too bad ya...

Yup, with our ever-going hyper-active toddler, we need to get ourselves a full time maid else really the house upside-down. I've been terribly exhausted for quite some time already. Still unable to find a suitable maid. So until then, number 2 is going to wait for long I guess (I hope not that long...)

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, oh ... you still haven’t found a maid yet ya? I though you have been maid hunting for a very long time? But sometimes without a maid gets more privacy too :) No luck with part time maid still?

Esmeralda said...

Not much luck with maids now. As for part time maid, it's only once a week, and there's too much work to do. Some more I need to start doing my studies again... :((

MommyAngel said...

Oh dear .... Wish you luck Esmeralda!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

The magnetic book is so interesting. I seldom spent time in bookshop, but I know Sarah loves bookshop. She is not reading the books, but messing up them.

MommyAngel said...

Joanne, ya .... I like the magnetic sticker book too, that's the sticker book which I gave to her on her 2nd birthday :)

Actually same with Angel too, she likes to move all the books from the shelves too. It's more interesting then reading them I guess :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

O, this is the book that you gave Angel during her second birthday? It is very educational gift from mommy. Very good!

Angel also likes to mess up the books from the shelf? I think is their hobby.

2xMum said...

I love the puzzles you bought for Angel la...

I've been searching high & low for puzzle for Ryan's age. All I could find was the 48pcs puzzle. It's pretty hard to find such nice puzzles like matching the animals head and body (Velcro one right?) in Penang...

Mind telling me where did you get it in Bangkok?

MommyAngel said...

Joanne, ya … that’s the book for Angel’s birthday :) Angel will like to mess up with almost everything at the moment if she saw that I am not looking :)

Doreen, I think you can find those 6 piece puzzle from Popular book stores leh, that’s nice too :)
- yup, the one I’ve got is the Velcro one. I got my puzzle from a book store at cp office tower here at Silom area. There is one small bookstore selling all thai books only (I don’t know the store name coz it’s in Thai and they don’t have English name for the store), ground floor. It’s the one and only bookstore there, very easy to find.

2xMum said...

Sigh, the bookstores here don't have much choices ler...

Anyway, thanks for the info! Hope I could find that store.

MommyAngel said...

Doreen, welcome dear :)