Sunday, December 28, 2008

Steam Banana Cake

I have seen so many blogger mommies making this lovely Steam Banana Cake and I was eager to try it out for my little Angel too. I love the fact that It doesn’t involve any oven for this cake and the best thing was this cake is basically diary free (and you can opt for egg free too)! That is simply perfect!!! If I can make this cake without any dairies, that’s mean Angel could have her first taste of a ’cake’!! Hurrya!! So I quickly went over to the stores to get the ingredients and also the bananas ……. When talking about Bananas, normally it will not last longer enough for me to make the cake before all ended up either in hubby’s or Angel’s tummy. All of us love bananas so much especially my little Angel. Until at one point we have to hide our bananas away from her sight or even doing a fast forward on her DVDs which shows a bananas. When she sees one, she wants one. Yes, Angel goes banana over bananas!!

Ok … back to the Steam Banana Cake. So I let Angel plays the baker for the day again and she was so happy (as you can see .... :D :D). Of course some mess happened because I instruct her to pour those flour into the mixing bowl without assisting her and of course, half of it when onto the floor :P Then I handed over the bananas meshing responsibility to Angel while tiding up the place and when I return, to my surprise Angel was happily ‘enjoying’ herself with those bananas (Oh, how could I left those bananas under the care of a little monkey :P :P) but luckily, I managed to ‘rescue’ the remaining for my cake :) So after everything was done, there goes the well mixed batter into the wok and it’s done in just 20 minutes.





So here’s my Steam Bananas Cake. It looks more like a ‘pau’ (bun) rather then a cake. I think the original recipe also looks more like a pau to me too. The texture of the cake is not fluffy enough and somewhat feels like a mixture between a cake and a bread. Although I have cut down the sugar but still, the cake taste a little too sweet. Maybe I should cut down on the sugar a little bit more next time. So at the end, I eat 1/8, Angel took 1/4 portion and the rest were polished off by darling hubby. I will definitely going to make another one soon as it’s very easy to make and also taste nice.

20 comments:

Serene said...

Glad to know you try out this recipe too.
i personally think the cake a bit sweet too, will it because the banana itself is sweet mah. So eventually you use water to replace the egg?? Got once i ran out of egg, i used water instead but the cake texture turns out very hard and not that tasty leh.

Mummy Gwen said...

Haha..so funny when I read Angel curi makan the banana. Gwen was like Angel too last time, any show that showed bananas, Gwen would want to eat banana as well..hahaha.

Your banana cake looks delicious too. Really that sweet meh? I like sweet sweet one..hehe

Natalia said...

Oh...Angel is banana lover ya. It's good that she loves it because banana is good for kids too.

The recipe very simple no need oven at all. I'll try it one day.

Well done Caroline...your hubby finished it...that's mean it's really nice.

cre8tone said...

Her facial expression so cute when she curi makan the banana!~ hahahaah~~

MommyAngel said...

Hi Serene, yes, I use water to replace eggs … maybe that’s why the texture is a bit hard. I will try the version using egg next time and also adjust the ingredients a bit and lessen the sugar as well ….. but I like your 2nd attempt which looks so soft leh. Mind one really look and taste more like a ‘pau’! hahaha.

Mommy Gwen, hahaha ….. Gwen will also think of bananas when she saw in the tv ah?? Kekeke …. Yes, the cake taste a bit too sweet, I think I should lessen the sugar by half maybe :)

Natalia, yes ….. Angel is crazy about bananas :) She can take 3 huge one at a time if we didn’t stop her which is too much. Yeah … try the recipe and show us the results ya :)

PeiWun, hahaha …. As it’s curi makan so she really opened her mouth as big as possible leh.

2xMum said...

Wow... she's really a good girl for listening to your instructions and not messing the things around!

If for my Ryan, he would turn everything upside down and play with the bottle of the oil :P

Esmeralda said...

Haha... Your "little monkey" is so cute.. and helpful too... Ashton is also a "little monkey"... everytime we want to eat some bananas, we have to run to the kitchen (or somewhere else) and hide to eat, otherwise there'll be lots of crying as he will be eating a lot and I'm afraid his little tummy can't take too much bananas..

Yes, when I made the steamed banana cake, I also reduce & reduce the sugar as the bananas are already sweet enuf. I wondered why my steamed banana cakes looks a bit darker than the rest of yours ya...

Anyway, I enjoyed seeing Angel playing chef. You are definitely a patient mum for allowing her to be your "right-hand 'girl'"..

MommyAngel said...

Doreen, hahaha …. From the picture she does looks very obedient but not in real life la, hahaha :) Because I let Angel busy with the mixing up job and other stuffs so she has no chance to play with the bottle of oil and other stuffs.

Esmeralda, hahahaha …… Ashton and Angel is 100% the same here when it comes to bananas leh, she will cry and cry for more and like you said, their little tummy cannot take so much of bananas at a time leh …….. We did the same too (hide and eat our bananas) until at one point, I was swallowing the bananas so fast that I nearly choke and asked hubby why on earth do we have to act like a thieves, hahahaha!!!

You make the banana cake too? How come you didn’t post it up ah …. Want to see also leh. But I think darker colour look more nicer leh. I think mine is a bit too pale. And does your banana cake fluffy and taste like a cake? Mine really taste and looks more like a bun leh, how come ah?

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, Oh .... I saw your banana cake in your blog liao .... hehehe ..... must have missed that during my holidays ya :)

Esmeralda said...

Yup.. it's in my blog dear... you were on CLOUD 9 that time.. hehehe.. the colour is really dark right? Mine taste half half like cake, and half like kuih.. but it's moist and spongy lar..

Haha.. we are all the banana thieves running away from the 'police'...

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, I think your banana cake have the right colour la. Normally those selling in the shop are those brownies colour just like yours :)

Talking about banana, we don’t' call it bananas at home anymore, hubby used to say to me, "Have you eaten your 'yellow thingy'" hahaha .... even have secrete code too because we cannot even mention the word bananas at home :P

Esmeralda said...

You are definitely right Caroline... of all the thing... it's our house rule not to mention the word "BANANA" else you get a crying bb all the time...

As for the banana cake, I think I modified a bit adding more bananas.. hehe.. maybe that's the cause of it..

MommyAngel said...

FOR MY PERSONAL NOTES:-

For White Flour,

1 Cup = 125g
1 Cup = 250 ml (commowealth cup, US cup = 240 ml and Japanese cups = 200ml + -).

1g = +- 2ml
100g flour = +- 200 ml

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, I have tried using 2 huge bananas too yesterday but it's not as yellow as yours leh. Really hope that I can get the yellowish like your coz they look nice. (Are you using pisang Beranggan?) I am using those Japanese Bananas (huge one and sweet one) from the supermarket. I think it has something to do with the 'outcome' also .... and also, maybe you are using less flour if you were to assume 1g = 1ml as per my msg in your blog. Maybe I really should try using less flour leh .... I will try again today :P

Hahaha .... the baking fever has pass to me liao :)

Esmeralda said...

Caroline, I'm using pisang berangan, normally 5 inch like that, I'll be using 2 1/2 to 3. Yup, I think you just have to simplify the measurement. Just try using the measurement cup. And if you add more bananas (2-3), reduce ur sugar. I used only less than 1/4 cup coz the bananas are sweet enuf already. Happy 'Baking'..

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, I used 2 huge bananas min 6 inch I think and lessen the sugar to 1/5 cup but still, a tiny bit sweet. I will lessen the sugar down to 1/8 cup I think .... let see how's the outcome.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Caroline, I remembered you are the first person who shared about steam banana cake recipe with me...Now you finally make one!
It lookes yummy!

MommyAngel said...

Joanne, ya ... I remembered that and hahaha ... that was so long ago hor, only until today I have finally baked the cake. How about you? Try it .... not time consuming at all if you were to do it without Sarah as your assistant :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

hehe, you still remembered it, but at least you did it.
I really wanted to try, but I just affraid Sarah will disturb my baking process...

MommyAngel said...

JT, oh ... trust me, this is super simple and everything from mixing the flour to ready take less then 30 minutes + -. Try it and you will love it :)