Friday, August 22, 2008

Fruit Juice - Chinese Style

My Angel does not like to drink water and will choke on water (only water) everytime she drinks. I guess some kids just do not like water just like some babies does not like their milk or solid. In fact I myself do not like water at all (again ….. what can I say, it must be in the genes :P :P) The only drink she would drink is home boiled barley water. We (means me, hubby and her 2 grandmas) even tried to feed her with various fresh fruit juices (pure and/or diluted), even to my last resort Glucolin and Ribena that most kid loves, she would only take a sip and shake her head. So I was MSN to a friend just now (thanks to mommy Josephine Ong *wink wink*) and she is nice enough to suggest me to boil Chinese herbal soup with pork for my Angel and suddenly *Ting* …. Hey, I am trying to get rid of the 2 pears which has been sitting in my fridge long enough already, why not I try a more ‘Chinese Style of Fruit Juice' - 糖水 but without the sugar? The nutrition values might not be as good as fresh blended fruit juices but as long as I can increase Angel’s water intake, I am more then happy to let her try this (heard that this sweet soup is good for lungs too).

So I just get whatever ingredients I have from my fridge because I really have no idea at all. (Yup … you’ve got me!!! I am bad in cooking and I hates …. (Opps …. Correction!!) I DO NOT HAVE MUCH INTEREST in cooking, I hardly cook or even step into the kitchen at all that is before I got married, lazy me …. ). So here it goes ….. the ingredients would be 2 pears, few red dates, 1 honey dates (coz I love the taste) and 1 piece of dried tangerine (hhmmm ….. must be my mom’s) and all goes into the pot with few bowls of water. I let it on high heat for 10 minutes and then turn to low heat for another 30 minutes and keep warm in my pot warmer and done. I did not add in any sugar coz I find this sweet soup is just nice for my girl with the very mild sweetness from the dates and fragrance from the tangerine. I let Angel tries it and she just loves it so I am thinking to share it with other mommies too. She could finish her 5 oz of water in one goal which is a huge breakthrough to me. I am so happy at last I’ve found a way to prepare something Angel likes. Me and hubby even have a share of this sweet soup. Hhhhmmmm …. Then I really should try to think of some other soup which I can make for my Angel. So to those mommies who’s bb doesn’t like water or juices, here is a great ‘Chinese Style’ of fruit juice to try!!

This keep me wondering ….. what drink does other mommies offer to their babies/kids apart from water, juices and milk???



11 comments:

Mummy Gwen said...

My girl also doesn't like to drink water. I have to offer her water frequently just to get a few sips from her. Looks like u r making 'tong shui' already..hehe..I have added u to my bloglist. Hope u add me too and visit my blog too, ok? Have a nice weekend.:)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Good Job Caroline. Finally you have think a nice drink for Angel.
I think the next time you have to boil a big big pot, coz you and your husband will rebut it with Angel. Hehe...

** I wonder what is dried tamarind?

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Typo error, is tangerine. Hehe..

MommyAngel said...

Hi Mummy Gwen, thanks for dropping by my blog and I have added you to my list ya :) You are right, it somehow like a tong shui but not sweet as our normal tong shui. I love it.

Hi JT, hahaha ..... yup, definitely have to boil a huge pot if mommy and daddy wants to drink as well. The tangerine I am referring to is call 桔饼 in mandarin. Someone told me it good as to 'clear the lungs' (清肺润喉) so I guess it's good? You should try it coz the soup is very clear and not sweet (Angel does not like sweet stuffs … at the moment). I am thinking to boil it with apples or other types of fruits as well. Might be nice too ....

Serene said...

Wow.. good recipe! I thought of trying too.. Good job Caroline!

Mummy Gwen said...

Thanks Caroline for adding me to yr bloglist. :) Maybe one day I will try to boil for my girl too..haha..

cre8tone said...

You should introduce more food you like to angel... She really 'inherit' your taste of food.. hahahaha...

Great job on the success!~ Glad to hear Angel is drinking a lot!~ I wanna try this also, though my sean did drink lots of water... thankx for sharing, too..

Unknown said...

Good try Caroline. My girl also dislike plain water so normally my mum will boil barley water or add some honey in the water so she will drink it.

I got a tag for you. Feel free to drop by my blog and grab the tag :)

MommyAngel said...

Serene, ya … you should try that too, very nice and not too sweet at all. Tell me the results ya if you have try it :)

Mommy Gwen, you are welcome for the add :)

PeiWun, Hahaha ….. like I said, it’s all in the genes I think, kekeke ….. glad to know that Ee Sean like water a lot. I hope my girl can drink more water too :) This is a nice try coz it taste very nice and not sweet at all. Hopes Ee Sean will likes it :)

Ping, I did boil barley water for Angel too but only give her once every 2 weeks now and thanks for the tag, I will do it ASAP :) :)

Julie said...

Lovely idea. I must try boiling this for Jonathan. He too will choke (pretending I think) when drinking/sipping water.

MommyAngel said...

Julie, Hopes Jonathan will likes it too :) You can try to add in tiny bit of rock sugar or honey if you think the taste is too blend. My Angel is ok with no sugar though :)