Monday, August 25, 2008

Porridge and Potatoes in Red

It has been awhile since Angel try on a new food so I am going to introduce her with another of my favourite dish – Beetroot!!! Traditionally, Beetroot has long been used in Chinese medication as a remedy for improving body system especially associate with digestion and the blood. I also love the taste and the vibrant colour of beets hence I think it would be a good food to introduce to Angel. For lunch, I make her Beetroot Porridge where I just put the beets into her porridge and cooked with some pork rib and mince pork in the slow cooker. The porridge turned out fine and Angel likes it. For dinner, I was thinking to make something different for her. Beetroot Mashed Potatoes!

The best way to maintain the nutrition in vege is by steaming them so after the beets were chopped into smaller pieces, it was steamed until fairly soft and discard the water from the beet. Boil one potatoes and peel, mashed it up and mixed with some milk ( I used Angel’s formula milk) until I get a creamy texture suitable for Angel to swallow. Lastly I add in the previously steamed beets and served. I was very impressed by the colour, it certainly looks pretty and very appetising, don’t you think so? Angel can’t takes her eyes off her dinner coz it’s so colourful and she wanted to feed herself instead. I think it is a good try and Angel does like the taste after all :)

15 comments:

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Caroline, another nice comby from you. The colour of porridge and beetroot with potatoes is so attempting.
Mind to share the what is beetroot call in Chinese? What is the taste like?
Angel really love the dish. Thanks to mommy for this lovely creation.
* In the pic, she looks very sweaty. Must be running around..

Mummy Gwen said...

Wow...such intense colour. Looks like Angel really enjoyed it. :)

cre8tone said...

Wow!~ nice colour... no wonder angel loves it so much, until offer to feed herself.. :)

Serene said...

The color is so nice? Look at Angel.. she eat till so happy! Hahaa.. so cute!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Hihi..got an award for you. Please see it at my blog. TQ

MommyAngel said...

Oh ya ... just to share some goodness of beetroot which I found on the net but it's in mandarin .... it says beetroot is good for detoxification and good to treat eczema and rashes due to heatiness. However, it is not suitable for people with a weak stomach coz it has a very strong cooling effect to the blood.

生 地

生 地 功 能 滋 陰 解 熱 毒 , 對 治 療 皮 膚 濕 熱 性 引 起 的 瘡 毒 具 療 效 。

禁 忌

一 向 腸 胃 較 虛 弱 者 不 宜 服 用 生 地 , 因 生 地 性 味 甘 苦 大 寒 , 清 熱 涼 血 之 力 甚 強 。

the little prince said...

I love the colours of the food....so nice....Am sure Angel love mummy cooking!!

MommyAngel said...

Hi JT, I think beetroot in chinese is call 生地, but some web call it 甜地根/地黄. The taste ah ..... quite sweet and with tiny bit of 'soil' taste if you don't like it. I always sees beetroot served in western salad buffet. Yeah ... Angel is always so sweaty coz climbing and running all the time. Nothing can stop her :) And Thanks for the award ya :) Appreciate that.

Mommy Gwen, yeah .... the colour is so vibrant right?

PeiWun, Ya lor .... she is very curious her meal looks so colourful for the very first time because her porridge is always colourless. Even mommy likes the colour so much.

Serene, I think she is very knee to feed herself lately.

Yugene, ya lor ... luckily my Angel still eat my cooking or else, really no one else to cook for liao,hehehe

Esmeralda said...

What a creative food creation Caroline.. I'm so impressed ya! Angel is so lucky to have different kind of food for her lunch & dinner...

Julie said...

I combined beetroot with brocolli to get the purple and green colour. Like your idea of beetroot with mashed potatoes. Must try...thanks for sharing.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Caroline, I think I have seen beetroot before in cooking show. But I think I never see it in wet market. Anyway, thanks for sharing such a great info with us.
- Sarah also easily get sweat. Hehe..

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, I think I am just trying to compensate her for not being able to eat a lot of food due to her allergy. I do enjoy cooking for her coz she eats almost everything that I cook, makes me feel like I am actually a big chef :P :P

Hi Julie you are most welcome. Ya .... Broccoli + beetroot is a very good idea, I will try them too. Thanks. I am glad that you like the beetroot + milky potatoes. Have a try ya. I think it's a nice dish especially the colour :)

Hi JT, I got my beetroot from the wet market leh ..... sometimes I got them from Carrefour or Giant also but not everyday they will have them.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Ok, thanks for your info. Will have a look at these places for beetroot.

Kristie said...

looks yummy :) u are a creative chef no wonder angel loves ur cooking :)

MommyAngel said...

Krisite, thanks ... I am trying to learn how to cook yummy meal just to pls my little Queen!