Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happy Yuan Xiao Festival - 上海 豫园 (Yu Yuan)

Gong Xi Fa Cai and Happy 元宵节 (Yuan Xiao Festival) to all!!!

I have learned from the locals here that Yuan Xiao Festival falls on the 15th of the first lunar month, signifying the end of our Chinese New Year and also the first full moon of a lunar calender. Hence, the Chinese would normally celebrating with eating 元宵(yuan-xiao) which is 汤圆 (glutinous rice balls) symbolising togetherness. Kids will be carrying yuan-xiao lantern celebrating the first full moon while the adults, will be participating in the most awaiting event - 猜灯谜 (solving riddles on the lanterns).


^ ^ A huge paper lantern decoration in Shanghai Yu Yuan(豫园)


If you happens to come to Shanghai or planning to celebrate Yuan Xiao Festivals in Shanghai next year, one of the most happening and crowded places where you could find all of the above was at the Shanghai Yu Yuan(豫园).

* We need to pay a fee to enter Yu Yuan (which normally is free) if we were to visit Yu Yuan during this 3 days to attend the festive event.

Ok .... so Shanghai Yu Yuan, here we come!


^ ^ Gong Xi Fa Cai and Happy 元宵节 (Yuan Xiao Festival)


Yu Yuan (豫园)was so crowded throughout the 15 days of Chinese New Year (we went last weekend) and we are walking shoulder to shoulder, being pushes and knocked at boorishly squeezing our way out from the crowd and heads held up high competing for a good view! I am glad that I brought along Angel's stroller so she was fully protected inside her own comfy zone with her stroller cover pulling all the way down (she loves doing that.) enjoying her raisin and biscuits inside while having a good time watching at ........ people's legs and pants? :P :P

The weather is still very cold and we take a good picture before entering the 'battle field'! :P



We first went to the 城隍庙 (Cheng Huang Temple) as hubby wants to do his prayers for the new year. The ticketing counter was floaded with people but I am glad that we finally enter without any chaotic matters.



A lot of people went to the temple praying for a smooth sailing and prosperous year ahead. A lot of them were holding their red hot burning colourful joss stick roaming around searching for a good spot to pray. Angel refused to stand still at the corner and wanted to join in the fun of lighting up the joss stick with the crowd too. *so dangerous* She suddenly stretched out and snatched hubby's joss sticks from his hands and eventually the tug of war breaks the joss sticks into half *oh-oww!! >:(* Hubby was fuming mad!




So I asked her weather she wants to get her new CNY clothing all smoked up and she answer me with a big NO! Finally, she told me she wanted to do her prayer with bare hands and that makes our little missy happy again. Phew!


^ ^ Happily posing for the camera again ^_^


We went to the 2nd floor of Yu Yuan's food court to have lunch and we had the most disgusting dim sum and drinks ever!! We don't really fancy the food in Yu Yuan's food court (more for tourist) but this one is really bad until we barely can force it down our throat! *yucks!*

So whoever came here, please avoid the food court unless you wants to torture your taste buds or was dying for food that you could basically swallow ANYTHING! The various snack stalls inside Yu Yuan selling various of Shanghai snacks taste much better then the food court!




At first we was planning to cross the 九曲桥 (meaning nine-bend-bridge)as a tradition to get rid of the bad luck but look at the crowd on the bridge!! I don't think I wanted to squeeze into that crowd of people (the part with colours were the crowd 'sardin-ed' on the bridge) and add further load onto that poor bridge! So we decided to leave it instead and move on to jalan-jalan else where.



Although the entire place was sooooo crowded but the decorations and Chinese New Year displays were awesome! It would be even beautiful if those lights were lit up :) I love CNY!!! ^_^




Wow .... The lanterns with riddles!!!! You could see such lanterns everywhere, hundreds and thousands of them where ever you lay your eyes on.



If you look closely, each and every lantern will have their own unique riddles written on them! Can you solved them all?? I wonder how they manage to see what was written up there. So far above ...... I think I need a binoculars! :P


^ ^ 猜灯谜咯 (solving riddles on the lanterns)


I think Shanghai Yu Yuan(豫园)looks so beautiful during this season of the year with all the lighting turned on beautifully every night! No wonder the place was flooded with tourists!



But mind you, a lot of pick pockets were out there looking for victims too and please be extra careful. That day I have seen guys (age 20+) following some ladies with hand bags, with eyes glued on their hand bag ready to attach and they are working in a 3 person gang! Hubby thought they were some 'samseng' at first but I saw them trying to lay thier hands on one lady handbag but failed! So scary! If I am not with young kids, I will surely alert the police!


^ ^ My happy girl who refused to nap after seeing all those pretty lanterns and decorations :)


When the night falls, the lanterns were all lit up and they look so elegant swaying along with the wind ^_^ Feels so happy just by looking at those bright red lanterns. I am not sure whether prizes will be given out for whoever solved all those riddles up there in tonight's event?




That's the look of Yu Yuan (豫园) when the night falls. It sure looks extra beautiful tonight. I can spend my entire day here eating, walking, shopping ... basically everything that you could ever imagine! I love Yu Yuan! ^_^

I am sure I'll be visiting the place again soon when it's not that crowded anymore and cross that 九曲桥 BRIDGE!!! ^_^



Have a very HAPPY and PLEASANT YUAN XIAO Festival spending time with your family and friends to everyone! ^_^

p/s: Oh dear, my VPN is still not working and I can't leave comments here and in any other blogspot too! So I can only be your silent reader for the time being ya until I find a way out!! Till then, Take care my friend ^_^

10 comments:

Small Kucing said...

oh my...it's so wonderful overthere. love the photos you took. Angel's baju raya is really beautiful!

cant go China but look thru your photos I felt like am there already.

Have a wonderfor Chap Goh Mei to you and your family

LittleLamb said...

Happy Chinese New Year to you and family. Angel has rosy cheeks. I think the weather there really make her skin good.

and yes, in China..the celebration seems to be very big ... I sure miss it. I never had a good CNY celebration for many yrs already.

Oliveoylz said...

The CNY decorations are really REALLY magnificent! Would be so awesome if I could experience CNY in SH Yu Yuan one day:) The lanterns are a real sight to behold! You didn't try guessing the riddles?

CathJ said...

Wow... so crowded!! but yet so beautiful..... ^_^

Vickylow said...

wah so happening at Yu Yuan wor. Angel is so cute in her red CNY clothes.

MeRy said...

Such a nice place to visit during CNY....Oh..Shanghai...I have to put it into my list for my next travelling trip.

cre8tone said...

Love her poses.. She can pose so well in front of camera!

ChloeRuoyi said...

Really got the festive "feel" over there. The decorations are so beautiful! Angel's red CNY costume is so nice and unique.... must be very cold there. This is such a great experience for you and your family :)

CL said...

Angel dressed in all RED wo.. very pretty and CNY feel...

mNhL said...

The CNY deco is really beautiful. And crowded too! Gosh.....lucky it was winter then. haha....if in M'sia, we wil be all sweaty.