Friday, August 21, 2009

Spinach Meat Balls & Steamed Hairy Gourd

I love to prepare Spinach Meat Balls for Angel because she doesn’t fancy vegetables that much so I have to hide it somewhere or make it ‘attached’ to her favourite meat dish so that she has to either eat them or leave them which is not a choice for her. In that, I can add in lots of veggie in her diet without any protest from her and so far so good :)

The preparation is very simple, just finely chopped up the spinach (or lettuce, chinese leaves, mushrooms, carrots, etc) and mixed them up with the mince meat (chicken/ pork), lightly seasoned with some soy sauce which is totally optional for younger toddlers. Also add in an egg (omit if you were to have any extra egg dish that day), tiny bit of white pepper, few drops of sesame seed oil (optional too), some corn starch for thickening and decorated with some Chinese wolfberries. That goes into the steamer for 20 minutes and the wolfberries will definitely bring in some extra sweetness into the meat balls.


Apart from that, I would also make the same Spinach Meat Balls in some other days and heaped it onto the Hairy Gourd (毛瓜). It does taste very refreshing eating that alone or serve with porridge / rice. For a more ‘tasty’ and less healthy version, I will finely chopped up some ham / bacon which I make a gravy out of it (use the water from the steaming …… but not the water you use to steam the food though :P :P) and drizzle on top of the Steamed Hairy Gourd when it’s done.


And this is the interesting part, you can even make a clown face out of the Steamed Hairy Gourd with an extra fried eggs at the bottom and 2 raisins + some ketchup! With an extra ordinary touch on her meal, Angel did polish up her bowl of rice in no time :)


Angel's clown face rice

22 comments:

MeRy said...

Caroline...U are alwys very creative in cooking......Shld try it out one day!!

Mummy Moon said...

the clown face rice is cute. I will try this recipe 1 day, It looks so healthy and nutrient are all there.

Cynful Pleasure said...

very creative mummy.. and I am sure Angel will love to have all this kind of creative food all the time.. :D

Mommy to Chumsy said...

wow, very creative. i'm making some meatballs tomorrow too...but will be fried ;) hope ashley would like it.

Mummy Gwen said...

Very good idea to sneak in some vege into the meat..hehe. Gwen dont like meat but loves vege..also headache for me lor. Angel is a good eater. :)

Merryn said...

The meatball's so cute. There is one where the wolfberries look like butterfly!!! I think I'll like this! Ethan has wolfberries in every meal.. he just loves them!

CathJ said...

Wowwww.... sedappp... I feel like eating them!! :D

ChloeRuoyi said...

Mmmmm... healthy, tasty and attractive! Sometimes I'm so reluctant to make pretty meals like this cos i'm afraid Chloe might fall in love with them and won't eat ordinary-looking meals anymore haha... (excuses, excuses :p)

coffeesncookies said...

wuahh.. very smart idea to stuff greens with meatballs. Angel is such a darling. If I make the 'face' for my girl, she'll mess it all up rather than eating it.. lol !

the little prince said...

Interesting!!

Got to copy this recipe!! "-)

Health Freak Mommy said...

Very nice and you're really a good and creative cook! I must try out this dish one day.

Ann said...

I would have polished up the clown face too....YUMMY!

2ma said...

u r so good in making nice food for angel!!

cre8tone said...

Lovely meal..

2xMum said...

wahhh... looks yummy!

you always comes out wt great ideas leh... so creative!!

MommyAngel said...

Mery, ya … it’s nice to eat actually :)

MummyMoon, thanks :)

Cynthia, thanks :)

MommytoChumsy, oh … so Ashley love the fried meat balls??

MummyGwen, so maybe you need to hide the meat into her vege :P

Merryn, thanks … oh, he will have wolfberries in every meal?? That’s good coz wolfberries is good for eye sight! But one thing I am worried is the colouring coz you know, from china :(

Cath, thanks :)

Hweili, hahahaha …. Me too afraid that she will fall in love with the pretty meal and not taking her ordinary meal so I didn’t do it everyday :P :P Once in awhile ok la ….. :)

Coffeesncookies, hahahaha … you mean she will keep stirring the food???

Yugene, you are welcome for the recipe :)

Healthy Freak Mommy, thanks and try it out and let me know whether your girl love it ya :)

Ann, :P :P

2ma, I am not … sometimes I am just too boring making ordinary looking meal for her :) Making in interesting putting a smile on her face and mine too :)

PeiWun, thanks :)

Doreen, thank dear :)

LittleLamb said...

nice nice...... wish i had time to make all these.... philip is eating junk!

Serene said...

Very nice idea. making the meat ball as clown's eyes. Caroline, thumbs up for you, always so creative!!

MommyAngel said...

Rachel, you can asked your maid to help you with that, can you? But I can see that Philip is eating well too as he is growing up well :)

Serene, Thanks so much ^_^.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Caroline, is this the first time you make a dish using hairy gourd? It is a very creative way to serve the vege with some steamed meat inside it, coz all the while I just use the vege for soup. Thanks for the great tips.

MommyAngel said...

Joanne, yes ... this is the first time I am using hairy gourd as I was looking for the jie-gua / dong-gua but couldn't find it in Bangkok :( Maybe I have to look harder.
- do you know whether the hairy gourd is Jie-gua or not???

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Yes, I think it is the same. Hairy gourd = Jie gua.

I have saw the jie gua label as hairy gourd.