Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Scribbles On The Wall [2Y3M]


Yes .... another milestone achieved again :P This is what happened when I take my eyes off her for a few seconds while doing my packing. The bad thing was, I always anticipated these on 'our' walls but nope, she done this on her Ah-Gu’s (My brother) wall instead. Urrgghhh!!!! This is her first time and I felt sorry for my brother’s clean piece of wall now decorated with Angel’s scribbles :(

So I show her the scribbles on the wall and told her that she has made the wall dirty and sad. She asked me to wipe it clean (hahahahaha!!) but I demonstrate to her wiping with a piece of wet cloth won't take that off either. I make some story up that it is not the right thing to do as Ah-Gu do not like 'flowers' on the walls but now she drew some flowers on it which is not so nice to do. Then I asked her to walk to her ‘naughty corner’ and stay there for few minutes while she was sobbing for my hug. After few minutes, I give her a big hug and stood her in front of the wall again, asked her if she wants to draw on the wall and make the wall sad again ….., she look at me, nodded and wanted to start scribbling on them again. Once more, I lead her to her little naughty corner and repeat the same thing and told her that pens are meant to scribble on papers and not the wall. She remains at her naughty corner for a few minutes again with some sobbing and crying for a hug. After another hug and I stand her in front of the wall for the 3rd time and asked her whether she wants to draw on the wall, she look at me, then she said, “No! Don’t Want!” then I told her she was doing the right thing and give her another hug (although Angel's grandma keep teasing me that she won't have that patient and time to do all that!!! Her way is smacking! :P :P) The next morning, I handed her a pen and stand her infront of another piece of wall and asked whether she wants to draw on them again, she hesitated then told me “No! Don’t Want! Don't Want! Not Nice ~~~!!” and starts to look for the piece of paper I gave her yesterday :)

I think a few minutes of explanation and make her understand the consequences, making her own decision to do / not to do it and also given her another better choice (i.e.drawing on a piece of paper) really worth the extra afford and time spend in the long run. At least she understands why she’s can’t do it and hence don’t feel like doing it, instead of she wants to do it but she was afraid to do it because I said so ….. Maybe this workds for some kid and not for others so I think the most important thing is to find a method which works for BOTH you and the kid. No one method is the BEST or the WORST but only the Most Workable and Suitable method according to the kid's personality.

I am glad that it all ended well :) But still …… the poor wall with Angel’s signature on it, I am glad that it’s not a huge piece of art work that she decided to do that day, phew!!

26 comments:

Merryn said...

yeay! finally! hahahhahaha... i just hope this milestone wont happen to ethan though.. haha..

LittleLamb said...

caroline, u r lucky..philip started scribbling my nice walls when 16 months old. everytime he scribbles, i will cane cane cane..but not fruitful.. he will even tell me he wants the marker pen, blue pen, etc :(

i hope ur reasoning works with Angel n wont repeat.. for me, sigh..probably new coat of paint..

Cynful Pleasure said...

you are a patience mummy ya... and I am sure Angel knows her do and don'ts... so, piss piss... hug her for me ya :)

CathJ said...

I got a 'time out' corner too..hahahha... but seldom use the method already..

Ya.. Need a huge patient with them.. I am sometimes out of patient and scolding my boy.. and I always remind myself.. to stay calm and try to explain to them (again and again)... *sigh*...

Very challenging ohhhh... T_T

Mummy Ryan said...

I think most of kids like this..my Ryan also like to "conteng2" on the wall..start from my living room till our room...haih really heart pain + head ache...luckily now he improve a lot n will listen to what i had explained to him...

Health Freak Mommy said...

Most kids find the wall so appealing, including mine! And u r such a patient mum.

coffeesncookies said...

your patience paid off. I took the easy way out, I spanked her real hard to make sure she remembers NOT to draw on the wall. Bad mummy huh ?

Angeline said...

Mommy, you've done well....
*clap clap clap*

cre8tone said...

Scribble anywhere but the book!

2ma said...

u r such a patience mummy *clap, clap* maybe u should try testing angel a few days later if she still wants to draw on the wall :)

MeRy said...

You are very patient...if I were you, I think I will scold nonstop.

the little prince said...

Good Job mummy!!

My boy have not started to do that on the wall but on his stool n little table...I have not really started with 'teaching' session with him yet.wonder whether he will understand..

Angel so clever, listen to mummy teaching ya...

Mummy Gwen said...

You are a patient and good mummy. When I tell Gwen to stand at the naughty corner, she don't even want to move..how lah to implement this..haha. Angel is a good girl for listening to Mummy's advice. :) So far, Gwen hasn't started conteng on the walls yet. *cross my fingers*

Ann said...

hahaha....good you had the patience to deal with it! Yeah....it works for some kids better than others!

Mumsgather said...

Wow. You have so much patience! I'd probably just yell! I'm a bad mommy!

Steph said...

wah... the 'time out corner' really that effective ar? Think I need to have one for my girl also liao... hmm..how shall I begin... ?

ChloeRuoyi said...

Ooh... she's finally done it! Can shake hands with chloe jie-jie already haha!

MommyAngel said...

Merryn, fingers crossed! :P :P

Rachel, I think no matter soft or hard method we still need a new coat of paint at the end for sure :)

Cynthia, Piss piss ….. :P

Cath, seldom use the time out method means J is behaving well now? How nice ….. sometimes I will lost my cool too but hardly nowadays unless I have an extra busy day ahead la ….. yes, extremely challenging but it’s so fun!! :)

MummyRyan, clap clap to Ryan, I think some improvement is a big step forward :)

Healthy Freak Mommy, I am not a patient mom but I am trying to be one ….. or else, I am afraid that I might be getting a heart attack sooner then I need one :)

Coffeesncookies, don’t say that, I think everyone is a good mommy :) So does your method work on your little girl?

Angeline, thank you and that’s very motivating :)

PeiWun, oh ya …. I also found out that she has scribbled onto one of her hard board books too and guess what, she was the one who bring the book over to me and asked me to take the pen marks off her book, hahahahha ….. but how? So at last I have to show her it can’t be done lo :(

2ma, ya … I think I should and thanks for reminding …. I certainly hope she won’t forget her lesson :)

Mery, sometimes when I look at her innocent face, I really have no heart to scold her leh … :) Maybe I will if she repeat it for her 2nd and 3rd time :P

Yugene, I think they will understand …. Last time when my girl is younger, beside explaining to her, I also ‘act it out’ to show her what I mean afraid that she won’t understand ….. seems like working pretty well too :)

MummyGwen, I am not that patient actually but when it comes to my girl, I think I am willing to go the extra miles :) Last time I asked Angel to stand at her naughty corner she also take that I am just joking with her until I really put her there and make her stand there ….. only once then she got the idea that I am not joking with her :) :)
- I don’t think your Gwen need the time out as I can see she is such a darling la ….. :)

Ann, ya …. The most important is to find a method which works for both the mother and the kid :)

Mumsgather, I will yell too but that doesn’t make things better as I end up feeling sorry and Angel ended up crying more and more ……. . But of course I think ‘Patience’ also comes hand in hand with the ‘Time In Hand’. I noticed that I will lose my cool too when I have too much things to do lining up waiting for me to accomplished.

Steph, how to start ah ….. that’s what I do, the very first time she misbehave, I put her to that ‘little corner’ and explain to her why she was there and some crying episode happen but I just let her be alone there. (put her back if she runs away) I have to be very persistence and showing her that standing there means standing there and it’s not a game. Then after a few minutes (3 minutes should be enough), I would go and hug her telling her that mommy love her so much but she has done so and so (tell her what’s her mistake were and why she shouldn’t do that) so making mommy no choice but to put her there. Normally she will calm down after the hug.
- The most important thing is never use the ‘naughty corner’ too often (like everyday and everytime they misbehave ) and also never simply say, “if you naughty I will stand you at the naughty corner …..etc) if you don’t really mean to put her there. Or else, the magic of the little corner will not be working as they know that you are just joking or they are so ‘used to’ standing at the naughty corner already and it doesn’t work anymore :) That’s what I did with Angel and good luck ya ;)

Hweili, hahahaha ….. ya, the itchy hand is coming :)

Esmeralda said...

That's really a great way to discipline a child Caroline. Thumbs up! But I do agree with your mum - I really don't have such patience and the time sometimes to discipline him this way. I've tried few times, but to no avail. He just won't listen and kept on crying and screaming once I 'punished' him that way... So usually I ended up smacking his little hands... (so bad ya..).

Angel is so obedient can stand at her 'notti corner' if told so.. ;)

Esmeralda said...

Oh ya.. talking about scribbling the walls, Ashton did that on our dining chairs, which is fabric, and can't be removed!!! *slap forehead*

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, using a pen???? Oh dear .... I do hope that the dining chair is in dark colour and couldn't really noticed them ya. Really very hard to ask kids never to do that actually .....

Esmeralda said...

Oh no-no-no Caroline.. my dining chairs are beige colour, so can you imagine that??? In the first place I thought it was my fallen hair on the chair.. but too bad, it's from the pen lar.. He even drew that on his legs too.. if I do have the time I'll do the post bout this.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

To be honest, I also dont have such patient in discipline Sarah, but I am trying now...Hehe.

MommyAngel said...


Esmeralda, hahahaha … I saw your post already, oh dear @_@

Joanne, maybe Sarah doesn’t need to be discipline as much as Angel does coz I can sense that Sarah is more of those quite and ‘si-wen’ type if compare to Angel, right?

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Sometimes Sarah is "si wen" but now she started to learn to be rough and bad manner. Really needs to be disciplined.

Anyway, I got a tag for you
http://samydy.blogspot.com/2009/08/handwriting-tag.html

MommyAngel said...

Joanne, thanks for the tag dear, I will do it ASAP ya :)

I think Sarah is just on her other stage of development Joanne and I am sure you can handle that well :) Actually Angel also been through that stage too but it's only for 1-2 days only, phew :)