Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Homemade Play Dough

Play dough is one of my favourite toy during my childhood. But those play dough I used to have last time were those plastersin use by my parents to ‘seal up’ water leaking in the house / sink which will left an unpleasant smells on the hands after getting in touch with them. They don’t came with an attractive colour too. In present, there are a lot more choices of play dough in the market for kids which comes with all sorts of equipments to do any shapes. However, although it stated toxic free in most of the play dough but I am not sure how safe were the play dough for sensitive skins like Angel so to be safe, I have decided to let Angel make her own homemade play dough instead. She is so happy that mommy is letting her getting involved in another ‘project’ after her previous cake baking sessions few days ago and it was really such great fun as the busy-body daddy was also eager to ‘help out’ in the kitchen. What an unusual family activities there :P

^ ^ Mixing and stirring ….. Angel is having such a great time in the kitchen! Her water pouring skills has improved so much!

Ingredients:
2 cups of flour
4 tbsp cream of tartar
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 cup salt
2 cups water
Food colouring

Method:

1) Mix all ingredients in a saucepan (except food colouring), stir over medium heat for 4 – 5 minutes until mixture become dough like texture.
2) Knead into a smoother form and add in food colouring.
3) Store in air tight container

^ ^ We only manage to settle with these colours due to mommy's fault in getting the right food colouring :P :P

When I try to mix my yellow colouring into the play dough, only I realise that it comes with a very pleasant smell …… ghee!! When I read the label, It’s not yellow colouring but butter milk flavouring instead *smack head*. So Angel has to settle without the yellow and green colour for her play dough due to mommy’s fault. She was extremely excited and even showing me the gesture of putting the dough into her mouth and eat. Hahaha ….. my girl would put anything into her mouth!! She didn’t manage to shape anything out from the dough yet but she was having such a great time kneading and pinching the dough and also destroying me and hubby’s work!

^ ^ Watching and learning from mommy and daddy’s. My cookies cutters were make to good use that day :)

So we did something for Angel that night …… the Sun + Moon and the horrifying looking Bear is from daddy :) Not bad for a start and to kill the boring night :) I think with more practice, Angel will be getting the idea of playing the play dough instead of trying to ‘eat’ them all the time :)

^ ^ Daddy and Mommy’s 'Not-So-Presentable' creations :P

25 comments:

Cynthia said...

Caroline.. you are such a great mum! Even come out with homemade play dough! and see the smile on Angel's face...

CathJ said...

Hehehehe... you remind me of those day when I was still a pre-school teacher. I have to prepare lots and lots of this for my student.. ^_^

Soo cute shape you have... you can actually decorate a cake now...heheheh

MeRy said...

Thks for sharing the way to do homemade dough.New Lesson for me..nextime can try make for Ryan too.
Not bad all the dough creation...some looks bit scary(hahaha:)

Mummy Gwen said...

Angel really loves to help Mummy in the kitchen ya. I should get Gwen involved too when I bake coz she seems very interested on what I'm doing haha.

Both your Hubs and your creation are very nice. Creative. ;)

Merryn said...

beautiful! many many things i can do with ethan, playdough is NEVER one of them coz i dun like it! hehehe.. so lazy to shape anything as whatever i tried, all ended up looking ugly! urs are nice though.. haih.. :D

2ma said...

wah!!!! so cool!! home-made play dough! can see from angel's face her happiness when pouring the flour & water.

btw how long can u keep the play dough? will it mould?

Ann said...

oh....good idea indeed!!! So innovative and hardworking of you!

Sasha Tan said...

thanks for sharing! my son lovess play doh now.

2xMum said...

Wow! That's a great idea for kids to spend time at home other than playing toys!

Angel looks like a 3 yrs old leh... Able to help out mummy in the kitchen very soon!! :)

cre8tone said...

Oh! I wanna do this for such a long time but no yet motivated myself to make a homemade playdough for my son yet... Great job caroline...

Serene said...

This is a great home activities for kids, daddy mummy also can join in the fun! By the way, what is Cream of tartar? Is it tartar sauce?

LittleLamb said...

wah this is so creative..
thanks ..for the idea. but i guess, lazy me..i will go out n buy them..

ChloeRuoyi said...

We love playdough too!! I've always wanted to make these homemade playdough but being the lazy mum that I am, I ended up buying them instead.

Mummy Moon said...

Very nice play dough. Is it stick?

MommyAngel said...

Cynthia, thanks :)

Cath, hahaha …. You are so nice to call our creations as cute :) If Angel did not destroy our work all the time, I think we can come out with more nicer pattern :P

Mery, you mean the bear bear is scary?? Hahahaha …. That looks scary to me too :)

MummyGwen, yes … she will be very excited if I let her get involved with whatever I am doing :) Maybe it’s time for Gwen to be your little helper in the kitchen too?

Merryn, you don’t like play dough? How come??? It’s so interesting leh :) Even our creation is so ugly we also call it ok and dare to put up and show everyone lo …. :P

2ma, I think it depends on how you handle the dough and how long it was expose to the air too when they play with it. For my dough, so far 1 week plus already still looks ok wor but I will discard it tomorrow la and make new ones just to be safe :)

Ann, thanks :)

Sasha, glad that you son love play dough too …..

Doreen, yes …. I think it’s a good toy for kids to exercise their little fingers and their little brains too :)

PeiWun, hahaha …. Actually this dough recipe I have kept for almost 1 year and only manage to do it now …. So you know who is the lazy one :P :P

Serene, cream of tartar is not tartar sauce lah …. It’s in powder form. You can get it in the baking section and I normally use that for baking :)

Rachel, actually those you buy outside is very colourful and fun to play with but have to make sure the kid don’t eat any of that lo. For Angel she would wanted to ‘taste’ them so I better play safe :) Some kids will be allergic to those play dough in the market too due to some chemical they use so you have to choose wisely for a quality one.

Hweili, I am worried that Angel would have allergic reactions to those dough selling in the market so that’s why I make my own lo. I have seen kids having allergic reactions to those dough before and Angel is a ‘sensitive baby’ :) I am glad that Chloe is doing fine with those dough so mommy can safe some work there :)

Mummy Moon, it’s sticky but won’t stick to your hands :)

Mommy to Chumsy said...

wow, such nice creations. your little helper must be over the moon :D

Bonnie said...

Nice..love the idea.. May be should try wt wawa...thanks for sharing.. And the bear are really scary..hahaha

Fussy mum said...

Great activity! My gal loves playdough too but I'm too lazy to make myself, so just buy lor :P

Anggie's Journal said...

same go to Jeremy, he love his play dough very much too ... but u r very creative by making those cute cute shape for angle ... love it !!

Esmeralda said...

Alamak!~! So creative lar Caroline.. never thought of can make home made playdough too.... so I guess u all did hv a great time playing together ya.... I bet if I were to introduce it to Ashton, he will show me the "yi=geli" face...

MommyAngel said...

Mummy to Chumsy, yes ... she is :P

Bonnie, hahahaha .....

Fussy mom, I dare not to buy coz Angel's hands are sensitive, she has taken far too many anti-allergy medicine already :( So while I can only envy those mommy who can buy play dough from outside lo ......

Anggie, ya ... I remember that you son loves play dough too :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Thanks so much for sharing this...
It was so ngam that ytday I also saw play dough at supermarket. Really thought to buy for Sarah, but afraid Sarah will think it is food and eat it.
Looking at your homemade play dough, if really Sarah eats it, then at least all the ingredients are eatable plus is cooked under fire.

Wondering where you get the "recipe"?

Woww....Angel was having so much fun. She was sweating hor...

How long can the play dough last or will it dried up?

MommyAngel said...

Joanne, I think I got the recipe from the label of the cream of tartar I bought long time ago …. I have kept this recipe for around 1 year already, lazy me hor :P :P

I think it can last very very long but I never keep it that long …. Angel is playing with it for 1 week plus and still ok wor but I throw it away and make another set for her since it’s so easy to make ;)

Kristie said...

Wow I've never heard of homemade playdough, now I know, thanks so much for sharing :)

smallkucing said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe for play dough :)