Thursday, March 19, 2009

Char Sao (Barbeque Pork / 叉烧)

The cooking heat is on :) After the Crispy Roasted Pork, we are asking Yoki for the Char Sao (Barbeque Pork / 叉烧) recipe instead and she is so nice enough to actually show us how to make it. (Thank you so much Yoki, really am!)

This is much more complex then making the roasted pork for me but still, I am so eager to try it out. So after cooking and marinated the pork, there goes the pork into the wok and braised. Ta da ….. that’s my first Char Sao!! It does look a bit pale from the inside and because I am not using the red colouring, so its colour does look a bit ‘darker’ instead of the normal bright red outer layer :) I also love the sweeter version of Char Sao so I did add in extra 4 tablespoon of sugar into my Char Sao before cooking :P The outcome is nice and sweet although not really taste 100% like Char Sao LoL. However, Hubby and I managed to finish the entire dish all by ourselves that night. And also because this round my Char Sao does taste a bit salty then usual so I didn’t give it to Angel. Maybe she has to wait for my 2nd attempt, yes again :) All in all, it was surely a very appetizing dish to have and I will make it our regular dish from now on :)

Thank you Yoki for sharing such a nice recipe with us, I love it so much and I will work harder to get the recipe right :)

(Translated from Yoki’s recipe)

Char Sao Recipe

600g – 700 gram pork, cut into 3 cm wide strips
- loosen meat by hitting the meat with the back of the knife

Sauce
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
4 tablespoon oyster sauce
4 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoon Siu-Heng cooking wine
1 tablespoon rock sugar (melted with a bit of hot water)
2 teaspoon five spice powder
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 small bowl of water

Thickening
1 teaspoon corn flour + 1 tablespoon of water

Method of cooking the sauce:
1) Heat wok with 2 tablespoon of oil, stir fried garlic until fragrant
2) add in all ingredient for the Sauce, stir occasionally in low heat until boiling
3) add in Thickening gradually, keep stirring until sauce is thicken.
4) Marinate the pork meat with the ready sauce for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.

Method of doing Char Sao
1) Heat wok with 1 tablespoon of oil, fried pork until fragrant
2) Add in a small bowl of water, simmer in low heat until the sauce is thicken, (may take out to serve as char sao sauce)
3) Turn on high heat to darken the meat (until slightly burned)
4) Slice and ready to serve


*******************************************************************

2 days later, I am craving for the Char Sao dish again so I went to buy another piece of pork for my 2nd attempt. When I went home, only I found out that I have ran out of the cooking wine and fish sauce ….. oh boy!!! What to do …… so after searching high and low in the kitchen, I found a bottle of ready made Char Sao Sauce which has been sitting in my fridge for don’t know how long, must be hubby who bought this without telling me! So since I can’t follow Yoki’s version due to shortage of ingredients, I use the instant sauce instead. According to the recipe at the back of the sauce, I must baked my Char Sao instead of braising. So here I go, baking my Char Sao in the kitchen watching closely in front of my oven and ta da ……… the outcome is just as nice!! Although it still doesn’t taste 100% similar to those Char Sao I had in those Wantan Mee stalls but the texture and out look are close enough! Furthermore, our own cooking is surely much healthier without the colourings and the portion is much bigger as well! The meat is also very moist and tender as compare to those we had in the restaurant because it just come out of fresh from the oven.

Hubby loves it, I love it and so does our little Angel. She even pointing at the Char Sao before we had our meal indicating that she wants to eat those LoL I told you how picky my little missy was and still is when it comes to her food, basically she has turned into a carnivore at this point! Surprisingly today for this particular dish, I do not have to introduce much to her and by instinct, she knows that’s her favourite meat dish (although the colour is so dark) and voluntarily hinting me that she wants to try them way before we started our dinner! LoL

26 comments:

CathJ said...

Oh...my fren...pls..pls..give the recepi ahhhh.....This must learn!!!! Tak learn, rugi!!! (For non-muslim only ahh) hihihihi

CathJ said...

Me again lah...I click the link..I dont know how to read Chinese lahhhhh...T_T... please give the recepi...pls....(Desprate housewife ni...lol..trying to make hubby here..lol)

CathJ said...

try to make hubby happy.... (putus)...lol..

Esmeralda said...

Gosh... You can open a restaurant liao Caroline...

Too bad I can't read Chinese lei.. else I also wanna try to make this too... I'm sure Ashton will love this...

So you and hubby finished the whole plate? Any additional dishes or just this? ;)

Mummy Gwen said...

Wah..you are so adventurous lah..hehe. Good try ya. They look delicious. If I want to eat I just ask my mum to make for me..hehe..coz she sells "char siew" and roast pork in the market. :P

MeRy said...

The cha siew looks yummy....really feel hungry now. Too complicated for me to make it, I dun think I will have enuf time to prepare this kind of dish with Ryan at home.

the little prince said...

Look at the photo make me feel so hungry....:-)

Caroline, you are really good!!

the little prince said...

My in-laws also do the braise method...but yet to try the bake method...
I have yet to learn from her...:-p

you prefer which one?

Unknown said...

Yummy! Yummy ! Make me hungry early morning when see this char siew yum! yum! hahaha!

My mum did this char siew BBQ before and i love it too ;p

cre8tone said...

Wow!~ drooling~~~

LittleLamb said...

i may try ur 2nd method. its easier. buy the ready sauce, marinate with meat n bake..

if i braise over fire..must watch out or stand there. if bake, after 10 mins or 20 mins..check the oven right..hehehehe

MommyAngel said...

Cath, no problem, I will translate it for you ya and will add the recipe in my post so you check it out la BUT BUT BUT …. So sorry you’ll have to wait for awhile ya coz schedule a bit tide at this moment (Angel’s birthday is coming ma …. Kekekeke). Hope you don’t mind ya ;) Promise to translate it ASAP!
- ok ok ….. now I know you didn’t mean to say “trying to make hubby here” … into barbeque pork???? LoL
- but mind you, the recipe is a bit too salty for my liking so maybe you have to adjust here and there a bit coz I don’t have time to do the 2nd time yet so don’t know how my adjustment will be.

Esmeralda, No problem Esmeralda, I will translate the recipe ASAP as what I told Cathy ya :)
- ya …. I am sure Ashton will love this but then, the recipe is quite salty so you have to adjust it a bit, I don’t have time to do the adjustment still coz never try it for 2nd time yet.

Mummy Gwen, now I know …. Aiya …. I should asked the recipe from you instead la!! Your mom’s char sao and roasted pork must be real yummy!! So did you learn the ‘technique’ from your mom yet? Mind me asking ah, how to make the skin of the pork as crispy as when it first comes out from the oven, say 1 day after still??

Mery, oh …. This one not that complicated at all leh. I also make this when Angel is at home but also walking in and out of the kitchen, then cooking the sauce half way Angel demands for me to hug her so I have to off the stove then hug hug and kiss kiss the crying baby then back to the kitchen and ‘continue’, hahahaha …. Things has been like that when she is extra clingy to me.

Yugene, your PIL also knows how to cook char siew ah? Wah …. Then you have them all the while lo …. I think the bake one is more ‘aromatic’ coz got the part which is ‘burned’ ma, have the taste of being ‘barbecued’, quite nice. I think if using the charcoal to grill will even be nicer leh. I like both actually.

YenPing, wow … you mom also knows how to do this ah? Does she tells you her secret of making it already? Nice leh … I bet Natalie will love this too!

PeiWun, hahahaha … you can make it too! Wanna try?

Rachel, ya …. I think the 2nd method is quite simple and fast to prepare! For both I also stand in front of the oven leh coz obviously for braise you have to stir and stir and look out of the bottom if it’s burn. But then in the Oven also have to watch out too la coz different oven different timing …. For the oven cook one, they said 15 minutes on each side but the meat was not even cook. Then I have to stay near the oven to make sure it’s cook and not burning the meat coz I turn up the heat or else, don’t know how long should I wait. Have a try then and good luck, share with us your ‘final results’ ya …. I am sure Philip will love this one :)

Esmeralda said...

Thanks Caroline... Maybe I'm going to start with the simplified version - with the ready-made sauce... Btw, what part of meat that you bought for this BBQ pork?

Mummy Gwen said...

Caroline, I never learn from my mum lah..haha..you knowlah we can have this anytime so never bother to ask.*very spoilt*

You mean maintain the crispiness the next day? This one I gotta ask my mum..hehe. Get back to you again ya.

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, the pork which I bought is called “kap sum” in mandarin, the person in the pork stall will know. Or else, I just tell them I want to make char sao and they will know which part of meat to use.

Mummy Gwen, hahaha ..... Understand, coz when you are having those anytime of the day, you won’t be thinking to make yourself :) Thanks for your help ya :P :P

Kristie said...

yummy!!! i want some!!! can courier to me ah hahahhaa.... u are an adventurous cook, kudos to u!

MommyAngel said...

Kristie, Hahahah .... I will if it's not 'pork' :P Thanks for your kind words :)

Kristie said...

lol! ya hor...

sure u are welcome :)

Esmeralda said...

Oh... thanks... I know which part is that already.... :)

Mummy Moon said...

I did make cao sio before, using the ready made sauce and just bake in the oven. :) Your cha sio looks yummy...

MommyAngel said...

Mummy Moon, ya ... my 2nd attempt is using the ready made sauce too. Simple and nice too :) So how's your crispy roasted pork getting on? You try the recipe already?

CathJ said...

OOOOOO my dear fren!!!! Thank you for doing the translation eventhi you are soooo buzy!!! Thanks sooo much!!!

Oh yaaa.....Angel turn 2!! wowww... please take lots photo yaaa...... ;-)

MommyAngel said...

Cath, you are most welcome dear :)

Ya ... I will :)

Serene said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Caroline.. I'm going to try out on this weekend. kekek =)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I always wish to try those recipe that using pork as the main ingredient, but too bad, it is very very difficult to buy pork here.

Anyway, a thumb up for you for making such a delicious char siew.

MommyAngel said...

Serene, good luck dear!! Show us your results ya :)

JT, ya …. Actually Shah Alam will have the problem unless you don’t mind to travel to Klang, etc la :) Thanks for your kind words ya :)