Monday, March 02, 2009

Steam Ma Lai Ko Cup Cake

I’ve always searching for ‘diary free’ baking recipe for my little Angel waiting for her to outgrow her lactose intolerance while doesn’t missed out the fun of sinking her newly erupted teeth on those yummy biscuits and cakes once in awhile. Can’t bare to see her not knowing what cakes taste like / how crunchy a biscuits were because I personally love food very much and so does hubby. I particularly love steam cakes because I think they are less heaty for our little one (just my perception though) and also for the baker (yours truly), I do not required to stand in front of the RED HOT oven sweating as if I just fallen into the longkang, watching closely worried that my precious cake will get burned badly if I were to miss out a second or two :) So again, I have found another diary free recipe – Steam Ma Lai Ko Cup Cakes from ChowTimes again (after the Steam Banana Cake) and decided to give it a try.

After some sweating in the kitchen, finally the cake was done. I personally love this very much as it taste like the crossover between a Steam Egg Cake (鸡蛋糕/ Kai Dan Gao) and Pak Tong Gou (白糖糕) and the texture is a bit chewy too. I don’t know how a Ma Lai Ko should taste like but I like this version too but remember to eat on the day itself coz keeping overnight the texture will turn a bit hard for mine. I am glad that Angel enjoyed her steam cake and once the cake was out from the steamer, Angel – 1, mommy – 3, Daddy – 3 ….. hahahaha, I was thinking to make another round but feels too lazy after having 3 cupcakes so maybe tomorrow if I wasn’t too lazy, then maybe I will make another round for my Angel and also hubby (with parmesan chesse version for hubby) since hubby said that he only gets to eat 3 out of the 7 wor. See … I got 2 babies waiting for mommy to bake cakes for them!!! Anyway, I am glad that they enjoyed my baking even though I am not a ‘pro’ in all that and I could also have a peace of mind too when I know that Angel is happily enjoying her cakes while I do not need to worry that it will trigger another round of her allergic reaction again. So all the sweat and hard work in the kitchen really worth it I think :)


19 comments:

Esmeralda said...

So nice... I want some too... :) Great job Caroline... Angel & hubby so lucky lar!

Joanne said...

wow, the cup cake look nice !

MeRy said...

Good job,Caroline!!! The cake makes me feel hungry now...can I have some of it??

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, you haven’t share with us your latest cupcake post leh :)

Joanne, thanks :)

Mery, thanks :)

Kristie said...

u are so hardworking dear to look for recipes for angel... :) hubby is lucky to have u too!

MommyAngel said...

Thanks Kristie, you really make my day lar :)

Mummy Gwen said...

Another bake for yr family to enjoy. They look so yummy and very nice. Good job. I like Angel's photo there...so cute.

Natalia said...

So yummy...yum..yum...see happy Angel with the cup cake...

I haven't try your steam banana cake yet...don't have time...

2xMum said...

Wow... looks yummy!

Esmeralda said...

Yeah.. getting a bit lazy this few days. I just bought the ingredients for my next cup cakes endevour, hopefully I'm hardworking enuf tomoro... ;)

MommyAngel said...

Mummy Gwen, thanks :)

Natalia, hahaha .... Understand that. It’s pretty hands full with the baby right?

Doreen, thanks :)

Esmeralda, hehehe .... Not only you, actually I am getting lazy to cook as well, sometimes even lazy to blog too, sigh!!

Esmeralda said...

Yeah.. sometimes the 'lazy-bug' just got to us...

MommyAngel said...

For me not sometimes leh, I think the lazy bug is all over me now ..... :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Hai Caroline,
I always have the "chong tong" to try all your recipe. Coz you have done it nicely and seems like not so difficult to get it done, hehe.
*sigh*, I think I must really shop for all the ingredients once and try to make my very first cake.
- Actually is a great motivation that your husband loves to eat what you have baked. I dont think my husband will do that as he doesnt like cake or dessert.

MommyAngel said...

JT, trust me ..... all the recipe I've done is super easy one coz I cannot manage difficult recipe as well as I am still a novice in terms of baking and cooking :)

Oh .... really, hubby really motivates me a lot in terms of cooking coz if no wants will finished up your dish, really will be demotivating leh. So what does your hubby likes to eat? You can cook that for him instead of baking actually. How about Sarah? Does she loves cakes and desserts?? But once started, no turning back wor ..... hehehehehe, jia yu!!!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I dont think so leh, some of your recipe, for eg, the crispy roast pork is the toughest and follow by other recipe. Hehe.
-Is true, if no one "pong cheong" (cantonese) your food, then is so demotivating.
- My husband loves bread alot. Perhaps I should try to bake one for him. But i think baking bread is more difficult than cakes, right?
- For Sarah, she will eats what me and my husband eat. So very wei sek!

MommyAngel said...

JT, actually the roasted pork recipe is the super easy recipe that I have ever come across, honestly!! Oh, your hubby loves bread ah? Actually making bread is not that difficult leh …. Honestly!! It’s much more easy then backing a cakes!! You just need to get a bread maker, walaaaa …. All done, nutritious and healthy bread on your table in no time! Actually I would love to get a bread maker as well but hubby don’t like bread that much, only me and Angel can’t finished even half a loaf sometimes.
- I am glad that Sarah eats everything you and hubby likes to eat, actually after Angel’s becoming a picky eater for the past month, I know how hard and how stress a mom will be when your kids rejects their food!! :) Sarah really is a good girl!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Caroline, after so much convice from you that baking cake and cooking is not that easy than I thought, I think is just that the matter of getting my hands into it and start doing it.
- I thought bread can be make by using normal mixer and also oven?
- Since your husband dont pong cheong with bread, then better not to waste money to buy the bread maker.
- Yes, thats why i always say that I am lucky that Sarah is not picky with foods.

MommyAngel said...

JT, hhmmm …. I am not sure will it be as simple if you were to make a bread using normal mixer and over coz I never tried it :) If you have, let me know ya :)

Ya …. I am glad that Sarah is not picky in terms of food too! Coz I have been in the picky eater stage and 1 month seems to be like 1 year long. Good girl Sarah, keep it up girl!