Friday, February 13, 2009

Shitake Mushroom and Red Dates Porridge

I have started introducing mushroom to Angel couple of months back but yet to post it up so here it is, Angel’s very 1st Mushroom Porridge – Shitake Mushroom and Red Dates Porridge. The ingredient is pretty simple as you can see from the picture below. This dish is one of the dishes where I would eat together with Angel because it really tastes nice to adults even I am doing it without any seasoning. Due to the fact that mushroom is a bit hard to digest for the little one’s tummy, so normally I will put in a lot of mushroom in order to get the fragrant into the porridge and only chopped up 1 or 2 smaller mushroom for Angel’s consumption. Where does the rest of the huge chunk mushrooms end up then? My tummy obviously :) I am glad that Mommy and Angel both love mushroom so much and I will try different types of mushroom for her meal time then.

How would you cook those mushrooms (less oily) for your toddler besides adding into porridge or making soup?


12 comments:

cre8tone said...

Colourful porridge!~ Looks so yummy!~

2xMum said...

I love mushrooms too and also the button mushrooms!!

Is that a cucumber??

MommyAngel said...

PeiWun, it does taste nice leh :) Mushroom taste nice with anything :) :)

Doreen, nope .... not cucumber, it’s Zucchini and taste nicer then cucumber.

CathJ said...

Your Angel eat vege?? Ohhh good!!! My boy don't eat vege dont even eat meat... see...how dilema am I..

Mummy Gwen said...

Wah..suddenly so many posts on Angel's food..hehe. Maybe you can steam the mushrooms with chicken and some wolfberries too. Looks like Angel appetite is back to normal?

MommyAngel said...

Cath, yes …. My girl eat vege if I hide it well enough in her porridge :) Hahahaha …. You son doesn’t eat vege and meat ah? Then what he eats coz he doesn’t look skinny leh. Oh my, really headache ah so what you feed him everyday?

Mummy Gwen, Yah or …. Steam mushrooms with chicken hor. Thanks for the great idea. Nope, unfortunately Angel’s appetite is not back as yet but since we stopped those junk food, she is doing much better with her solid but progressing in slower pace la ….. those are my back dated post and I try to recoup what I have done so that I can do some adjustments and cook something similar again for her meal :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

What a nice and fresh combination. I never thought to combine these two ingredients together. I will steal your recipe ya as Sarah doesn't like red dates recently, but she does like mushroom. So hopefully she will likes this menu.

Erm, I also will use some oil to fry the mushroom. Or else, it has less aroma. Maybe you can buy olive oil, is more healthy.

MommyAngel said...

JT, you normally would feed Sarah the red dates too or just to get the fragrant from the red dates?

- thanks for the tips on frying the mushrooms. I will try it too but somehow, I think the mushrooms will absorb a lot of oil, you notice?

Serene said...

Beside the mushrooms and red dates, I also see cucmber and meat in the picture?
Can use the mushroom to steam with egg too. Then it will turns out something like Japanese Chawanmushi. I tried it before, but was failed wor.. You may want to search from internet for some recipe?
Btw, I love all kinds of mushrooms too =)

Kristie said...

looks yummy! good idea to share the meal with mummy, healthy meal too!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I did not feed Sarah with the red dates, I just use it to get the aroma.

Ya, actually mushroom does absorb alot of oil...So if we use a better and healthy type of oil, so it wont burden our health.

MommyAngel said...

Serene, that’s something similar to cucumber but not cucumber, it’s Zucchini :) Oh …. Chawanmushi …. Nice idea. Ya … I think I have came across your post about this too …. Maybe I will google for some recipe and see whether I can make those Chawanmushi or not. Oh … I love Mushrooms a lot too :)

Kristie, thanks :)

JT, thanks for the tips about using olive oil :)