Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Eve Dinner

I am planning to make a roasted chicken on Chirstmas eve as mentioned before. And I really though I was going to make a roasted chicken for our dinner. I have looked up a nice recipe to transform our bird into this aromatic and juicy looking yummy chicken and also I have got most of my ingredients ready, anxiously waiting for the ‘moment’ to come. My mind was all over ‘Roasted Chicken! Roasted Chicken!’ for the pass few days already until yesterday midnight before sleep, hubby suddenly says, “Oh ……. Why not we have a roasted beef tomorrow night? I have a sudden crave over those chucky roast beef lah ……. It won’t be too hard to cook, will it?” And I was like “………………“ Blank!!!

Ok, cut the story short, I have not done any roast beef in my entire life let alone seen how to bake one. Maybe I have seen how a roast beef looks like a couples of times over the buffet counter where they will cut and serve us a tiny piece (that was also after I have done some ‘homework’ then I get to know they are actually ‘that’) but I really have no idea how to do one. But on the other hand, hubby must be a bit disappointed for not having one on Chirstmas eve, will he? (Although he did say that he does not mind having roast chicken though ……).

So in such a short notice, I have no time to look for recipe. I just have enough time to do some basic studies of ‘What is a roast beef’ (yes, I am that bad), also studies some of the parts of a beef, the texture which is great for a roast and also taken some notes on the basic crucial ingredients and heading towards the supermarket nearby. Angel was crying for the entire shopping process because she wants to play outside and refused to go shopping inside. So I was shopping with a crying and screaming baby in my trolley, picking up whatever I could and headed home straight. It was really “fun” because this was the very first time that I was carrying my little Angel who was crying and throwing tantrums in one hand and holding onto a big shopping bag full of breakables on my other hand :P

So after much chaos in the kitchen ….. finally my roast beef was done! Phew …… Hubby was so happy to walk into the house with the aromatic of the beef roasting in the oven and after the meal, he actually commented that he actually likes the taste and prefers the roast beef over the normal steaks. I am glad that he likes the dinner. I think they really taste good too. Unfortunately, I do not dare to let Angel taken the beef coz she is on her ‘eggs’ observations stage and I do not want to introduce another new food to her as yet. Maybe next time :) So finally, hubby got his wish come true – a roasted beef, and I have learned something new today too. But after such a hectic day, I have decided that I am going to take the day off tomorrow (and maybe the day after too and also the entire week???) from cooking :) :) Merry Christmas to all the may all your dreams come true :)

29 comments:

Mummy Gwen said...

Wah wah wah...you can cook western food very well. The roasted beef looks super juicy and delicious la. Ada recipe ke?

Serene said...

Caroline, you are really a good wife + good cook!!
I was so lazy to cook, hahah... thought of cooking roasted chicken too, but ended up makan luar pulak.. hahah..
Anyway, thanks for the recipe. Merry Christmas!!

Administrator said...

I simply love all your coooooking....if only I could do half as well :)

the little prince said...

wow...yummy yummy!! :-)

MERRY XMAS!!

Adrine said...

That looks really good. Can open restaurant already :)

Merry Christmas!

2xMum said...

Wow... looks delicious leh... share share the recipe here la!

Oh my, you really have strong arms la... I couldn't carry my boy with one arm more than 10 mins!! I salute to you la!

Mummy Ryan said...

Caroline..im sure ur hubby must b proud of u cz u such a GOOD wife then oso good in cooking...ur dish look yummy!yummy! mind to share the recipe...

cre8tone said...

U very geng ler!~

MommyAngel said...

Mummy Gwen, oh …. I really don’t have the recipe for this one leh. But I can tell you what I have put into it (refer to below answers to Doreen) and I just sprinkle on top, no measurements too coz no time to measure :)

Serene, eating out if great! I love to eat out too. But hubby prefers to dine in most of the time so no choice leh :) You are welcome on the recipe :)

Irene, thanks …. Hahaha …. I think you can do it if you wants to :) And western cooking is so much easier then Chinese cooking too, don’t you agree?

Doreen, oh …. Honestly no recipe leh. What I have sprinkled/ spread on top of the meat is simply some Butter and a dash of olive oil, couple table spoons of finely chopped Ginger, Black Pepper, Dried Ground Thyme Leaves and also tiny pinch of sea salt to taste and wrap the meat with Bacon strips. Also chuck in some vege of your choice at the side. I roasted the beef for 1 ½ hour at 350F for my 1kg of meat. When serve, I just slice them, top it with gravy made from the roast drippings. That’s it! Simple isn’t it?

Hi KC, thanks ….. The ingredients that I used are stated above (reply to Doreen) and just sprinkle as much as you like, measurement is not that important really. They taste as nice :)

Hi PeiWun, thanks and I think everyone can make this simple dish leh :)

Natalia said...

Aiyyooo so yummy...roasted beef!!! Did you cooked it with potatoes & carrots??? Maybe can try it for new year eve celebration...

MommyAngel said...

HI Natalia, yes ... I roast the potatoes and carrots together with the beef :) Taste good when eat with the beef leh, you can try and see whether you like it or not. For me and hubby, we like the carrots and potatoes so much.

Esmeralda said...

You are a one great cook there Caroline.. Hats to you! You can devise a recipe just from scratch.. And a great wife too... I've thought of trying to cook western food, but dun dare to take the risk, esp during this special occasion. So we've been eating out since Christmas eve till yesterday (hb's bday)... and maybe even thru this weekend...

Kristie said...

wah u are very brave to try out a new recipe! all for the sake of love ya :)

looks good dear!

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, that is so nice ….. at least you both can really enjoy the meal while me have to be the chef and cooking and sweating in the kitchen leh, hahaha. I like to eat out as well but sometimes picking a restaurant really killing my brain cell la. Ya ….. I am more ‘daring’ in western food as it’s more simple and the ingredient used are basically those few … but as for Chinese cooking, I must say that I am a total dummy :P

Kristie, hahaha … no choice leh as that’s hubby’s wish. Won’t want to disappointed him on Christmas Eve :) As long as I don’t burnt the dish it is still eatable ma, hahaha :)

Esmeralda said...

Well, you can say that we can have a relaxing and really enjoyed our dinner Caroline.. In fact, we've also been scratching our heads for venues to dine as we've dine at all the good ones already - so it's all a repetitive venue...

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, really so envy that you can bring Ashton out while still enjoy your meal. For us, eating outside with Angel really is very tiring. Normally I would have gastric after we ate out because I can't concentrate while I was eating :(

Esmeralda said...

For your info Caroline, we really can't concentrate when dining outside with Ashton. We just have to quickly eat (take turns), and one of us will take care of him. Otherwise, we have to "bribe" him with food from our plates (provided the restaurant has proper high chair)...

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, no need high chair also can, we used to put her in her stroller and give her some chips .... hahaha, yes, I have started to give her couple of chips when we dine out at McDonalds coz apart from that, she can't eat anything there :)

MommyAngel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Esmeralda said...

You can still bring a stroller out? I mean, she still wanna sit on it? Ashton only sits on it for few mins, so we are just too lazy to bring his stroller out nowadays unless we are going for a long outing..

Poor Angel. She can't take the burger buns at McD's? How about chicken nuggets those stuffs??

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, yes …. We bring the stroller out all the time because once we were out, it will be like the entire day so when Angel need to nap, she can nap there. She does not want to sit in her stroller too but we can use that for our really heavy nappy bag. We are lazy to go back and fore the car la, hahaha.

Oh .. because normally the burgers are with mayo ( allergy to dairies) and also the sesame seed on top (coz haven’t try that out yet, is that consider nuts???) Also didn’t know whether the bun is free from milk or not (asked before but no one is sure) coz even bread we will choose the special one which is milk/ butter free which is very hard to find too. As for chicken nuggets, normally the batter is made using either butter / milk product so we won’t want to risk that lo :) Very mah fan hor ….. but seeing her smooth and silky skin now and seldom go to the hospital for medicine anymore, it’s worth it la. So I am waiting for her to outgrow her dairy intolerance soon :)

Esmeralda said...

OMG!!! I never thought that you've to be so particular with her food.. even tiny sesame seed also can't pass thru you ya.. Have you ever thought of just giving her that small little piece of bread (the upper part without the mayo of coz) from the burger? I'd be tempted too...

Poor Angel.. she must be losing out on so much food out there.. What did the dr said? Is that generic? Did u have such a prob when u were young?

MommyAngel said...

Hahaha ... I have to because she tends to get allergy very often even without having any new food last time until her paed told me that I really have to be very particular because even 1 tiny single nut will caused allergy reaction, .... so time after time because a habit already and she really doesn't have any bad rashes again after that, phew ...

Yea ... she does missed out so much fun in terms of food from the outside and that's why I try to compensate her with a varieties of food combinations and cooking method at home. She can't eat bread outside we will buy those she can eat to bring out. The doctor says she might outgrow it when she gets older ( 3 years old) so I think it's not that bad as long as it's not for the entire life that she cannot eat those stuffs. I don't have such problem when I was small nor does my parents but my brother does have some allergy against seafood and beef. It might be genetic and it might not be, very hard to tell. But her case is really not that bad compare to others, just that I do not want to see her being sick again so she has to hold on for another 1 year + :) :)

Esmeralda said...

Oh dear... no wonder you've been so particular bout her food... Yes it's true. As long as you've introduced diff kinds of food to compensate with the ones that she can't take, that's find. Hoepfully she can outgrow it soon..

MommyAngel said...

Fingers crossed :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Another nice and yummy dish from you. Great job Caroline.

MommyAngel said...

Thanks Joanne :)

quEeNie said...

wow, sure its a yummy dish....u r good in cooking

MommyAngel said...

Queenie, hahaha .... actually I am not but more daring to try out new food once in awhile nia :)