Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cotton Soft Japanese Cheese Cake


I am a cheese cake lover so these will be another of my favourite bake for sure - The Cotton Soft Japanese Cheese Cake ^_^ So embarrassing to say that I still don’t own a cake mixer until this day but yet, I am so desperate to try out this recipe so I asked hubby and Angel’s grandma to give me a hand when it’s time to whisk those egg whites :) So you know how desperate I am to get this cake done :) After googled on the net, I found a nice Japanese Cheese Cake recipe from this site here and decided to give it a go.

The outcome ….. the cake is so soft, very fluffy and extremely delicious with that extra hint of lemony taste :) Simply superb!!! The texture and flavour are very much alike to those I bought from the bakery. Even hubby loves it very much and the cake is gone within 2 days :) I even gave Angel a tiny piece to share and she told me they are “nice” even before I asked for her comment with her mouth wide open chasing for the rest of the cake ^_^ This recipe is definitely a keep for me, so to all Japanese Cheese Cake Lovers out there, why the wait?

Ingredients

140g fine granulated sugar
6 egg whites
6 egg yolks
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
50g butter
250g cream cheese
100ml fresh milk
1 tbsp. lemon juice
60g cake flour /superfine flour
20g cornflour (cornstarch)
1/4 tsp. salt
*1 tbsp lemon zest (optional which I added in)

Method

1. Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over a double boiler. Cool the mixture. Fold in the flour, the cornflour, egg yolks, lemon juice and mix well.

2. Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add in the sugar + salt and whisk until soft peaks form. *I add in lemon zest last.

3. Add the cheese mixture to the egg white mixture and mix well. Pour into a 8-inch round cake pan (Lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of the pan with greaseproof baking paper or parchment paper).

4. Bake cheesecake in a water bath for 1 hours 10 minutes or until set and golden brown at 160 degrees C (325 degrees F).

(above quoted directly from the original recipe)

Notes:
- may add in some lemon zest for the extra ummpphh!!
- may change the lemon juice for orange juice too :)
- if using springform tin, always line it with aluminium foil to prevent water sipping in from waterbath. - waterbath means 'bake the cheesecake pan while it's sitting in the couple inches of water in the larger roasting pan. It is also called Bain-Marie.'

^ ^ You can see a darker hand in the picture which belongs to hubby, and a hand with nail polish which belongs to Angel's grandma. The kitchen was so happening that night ^_^

*P/s: However I noticed that my cake will 'fall' a bit after it was cool down and also it has some 'water vapour' inside (although it’s still soft and cottony). Anyone know what is the reason please??

24 comments:

UmmiRosma said...

Nice texture...
I think if you use a cake mixer, your cake will raise even better. The cream cheese is heavy that's why too. If I want to make my sponge cake fluffy, I would add thecfoamed egg white to the batter at the latest stage.

Mummy Gwen said...

Wow..alot of manpower involved..hehe. No mixer also can come out with this yummy cheese cake? Very "geng" lah. *clap clap* I also want to try making it one day. ;)

Cynthia said...

you very geng lei.. last night I bake a sponge cake with mixer also I feel damn tired... you use hand lagi.. :) check the temperature, the reason of the cake "collapse" could be the temperature and baking time.

CathJ said...

Thank you for the recipe my fren.. I will try this 1 day... ^_^

mNhL said...

Cheese cake is MY FAVOURITES! I think I need to be as hardworking as you to bake. ;-)

Serene said...

Wow, very nice cake... I would like to say too, no mixer but the outcome still looks good! Go and get one mixer lah, I'm sure next outcome will be perfect!

MeRy said...

Yummy cake....I love cheesecake too.Maybe if you were to use the cake mixer...it will turn out better.

Anggie's Journal said...

i been trying this cake for 2 time. but "tak jadi" mine was "fall" in the centre after cool, not even cottony. end up like hard jelly..for this cake.. i give up la ..... :(

Mummy Moon said...

Nice cake. Faster buy a mixer la, so that you can do more baking ! :)

Carolyn said...

i love cheese cakes and all cakes/cuppies. Too bad i dont even know how to bake one.
Your cake looks delicious :-)

BoeyJoey said...

After a few more cakes, your hubby will develop popoye arms (from beating the egg whites) ;-)... I won't mind that if I'm you...hahaha

By the way, the texture of the cake looks good in the picture :-)

LittleLamb said...

this recipe is on my TO-DO list. I have seen to many mummy blogger do it. I wonder will I be competent?

Btw, u r geng. no mixer and can still stir until white foam..... its difficult le...*cos once upon a time, i didnt had a mixer and used hand also*

Fussy mum said...

Wow, nice cake and it looks really soft and fluffy! This is one of the cakes that I wish to try out one day.

cre8tone said...

Wow! Baking!

MommyAngel said...

Ummi, oh, is that mean that I didn’t beat enough? Thanks for your advice :)

MummyGwen, can’t wait to see yours? You have a mixer right?

Cynthia. Hahahaha, why using mixer also feels tired? Some others baked with this temperature also works fine so I really don’t know what’s wrong with mine :)

Cath, your list is getting longer :)

mNhl, I am very lazy to bake too ….. but everytime I saw a nice recipe cannot ‘tahan’ :) :)

Serene, no time to look for a mixer yet :)

Mery, so you are not planning to bake any? :P

Claudia, sure :)

Anggie, oh really?? Hard like jelly ah? Although mine also fall tiny bit after cool but very soft and fluffy still wor. Now I hope I could know a way to make it stay high even after cooling will be great!! You should give it a try coz 3rd time sure a success one :) Good luck ya :)

MummyMoon, I will I will ….. :)

Carolyn, thanks so much :) I love to eat them more then baking them too ;)

BoeyJoey, hahahaaha … so I guess I should let him to the work and not going for a cake mixer lo :P :P

Rachel, of course you can make it …. See, I am first time also I ‘dare dare’ to try it lo :) Hahahahaha …. You are also using hand to mix your cake once upon a time ya? Kelian ….

Fussy mom, yes, you should give it a try coz it really taste nice :)

PeiWun, yup!! Another bake :)

2xMum said...

Hey, I baked that before and the recipe and steps are the same too.

Hmm... mine was okay... no tengelam wor... perhaps the egg whites beaten not well??

MommyAngel said...

Doreen, ya ... I remember you and Agnes also made this cake before but didn’t know that the steps and ingredients are the same too:) So I guess we are referring from the same side :)
- Wah ... your cake didn’t collapse ah? Hhhhmmm …. I also suspect that my whites was not beaten well enough leh ….. maybe it’s time to get a good mixer hor :)

Esmeralda said...

Well done Caroline... I too loved the cotton-soft Japanese cheese cake. Less fats (for my thought)... ;) less guilty to eat..hehehe...

U r so lucky to have so many kitchen helpers... I missed baking now... but can't accomodate any time to bake anymore. Really tight down with lots of things here... :( My block of Philadelphia cheese is still in the fridge waiting to be used...

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, yes ... definitely less fat then the normal cheese cake :)
- really that busy lately ah? Even no time to bake? You poor thing ...... I think baking and release tension too sometimes especially bread making :P :P

Esmeralda said...

Yes Caroline... nowadays I can hardly 'breathe' and have my own time lar...

So now u r into bread making ya?

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Ooo...you did that without the cake mixer? Really a great job done!

It really looked nicely baked.

Too bad I dont really like cheese cake....

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, oh …. You are really that busy ah? Take care ya but I do hope that you are happy with your busy schedule still.
- yup, I am making bread like crazy now, so addicting!!

Joanne, yes …. No cake mixer still, too bad ya :)
- thanks for your nice compliments
- you don’t like cheese cake still? But I saw you make one that day leh …..
- nevermind apart from cheesecake I think there are still many nice cake for you to try out :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I mean I salute for the hard work that your husband and your mommy done towards the mixing batter job. It is very tiring!

Hehe, yes..still dont like cheesecake. That day I make is Low Fat Yogurt Lemon Cake. No cheese at all. Hehe.

MommyAngel said...

Joanne, yes .... I am very fortunately that my hubby is always helping around the kitchen as well as my mom who is always there to give a helping hand whenever she saw me baking something or fixing bento for Angel :)

Hahahahaha ..... maune it's low fat yogurt cheese cake so no cheese at all. but since you don't like cheese that much so you don't mind it taste a little mild in the cheese taste :) I love cheese with the full flavour :) :) I even taste those don't know what cheese they call it with the green mould growing on top of it ..... so smelly but taste quite nice and very very strong cheesy taste :) :)