Thursday, January 22, 2009

Preparations for CNY

It has been a busy day for the past few days. Part of the reason is that Angel is getting demanding and nap lesser and lesser and also, really so many things to be done right before CNY!! As hubby is still very busy with the office work so until today our CNY shopping for me and hubby is not really done yet. I only manage to get myself 4 pairs of trousers, a pair of shoe and only 1 top while hubby still has none :( But I am glad that Angel’s new clothes and shoe are all done which can last her for at least a month (no time to upload these :( ) and also I just noticed that I even bought too many of her CNY ‘traditional costume’ for this coming CNY too, don’t know whether she would wear them all during this coming CNY.



I have been very ‘hard working’ too this year. Although I don’t really like cooking and baking but in order to make hubby feels at home and also feel the mood of CNY, I for the very first time baked him Barbecue Meat (Bak-Gua / Yuk-Gon / 肉干) which I got the recipe here. Although it doesn’t taste 100% like those we bought from the shop but I must say that they taste close and do taste good. Actually this one is the 2nd round that I make them coz the 1st round which I made which was yesterday night was all finished up by hubby before I even have time to cut them up nicely :) So these are my Barbecue Pork and also Barbecue Beef. Angel gets to have a share on them too :)


Besides the Barbecue Meat, for the first time I also made ourselves some CNY cookies :) I have made hubby’s favourite Peanut Cookies and also Angel’s Green Pea Cookies (as Angel couldn’t take any peanuts at this moment). Actually the peanut cookies I am using the Green Pea Cookies recipe which I got from a very talented mummy Lydia from her fantastic blog - 'My Kitchen' here and substitute the green pea with peanuts instead. They really taste good although it take me ages to do the moulding for the cookies :) So after the entire day in the kitchen, I really feel unwell maybe because of the heat!! Gosh …. Really solute those who make CNY cookies in bulk! I hope I don’t get sick during CNY as many of us tend to fall sick because of ‘over’ exhausting ourselves :). So I guess that’s all for my CNY baking and cooking in the kitchen and started to do some last minutes shopping for next few days :)




Gong Xi Fa Chai and a very Happy Chinese 牛 (New) Year to all of you ya :)

23 comments:

Esmeralda said...

OMG!

First, that so many CNY costumes? That's great. Where did u get them?

2nd, I love the "bak kua" & the cookies. If I din know that u are in Thailand, I tot u r in M'sia... you really felt 'at home' there ya.. got all the "ka-lan-cang" to do all these...

Good job... Happy CNY to u too, and hubby & lil' Angel....

Serene said...

WAH WAH!! Peanut cookies is our favourites too =) Actually i tried to baked Bak-Gua few weeks back, but not very successful la.. your's looks very tasty and looks like those selling at the shop one! OMG.. so who look after Angel while you busy baking in the kitchen??

OMG again.. Angel new clothes can last her for one month?? That is about 30pairs leh... wah, what a lucky girl oh!!

Wanna wish you and your family a Happy 牛 year too!! Hope the 财神 visit you and give you $$! Hahaha..

CathJ said...

woww... so many sam fu! My son got only 1... hahahaha....and thanks for the bak gua recepi....next time must try.. Happy CNY to you and family my fren..

MommyAngel said...

Esmeralda, Few I got it from HK and also from Thailand. I think I have seen it in KK too but I didn’t buy any. Actually I consider here as our home already leh, hehehe … ya lor, finally I got my “ka-lang-cang” and also my weighing scale (Finally)!!!!! Should have get one ages ago la, hahaha. Happy CNY to you and your family too Esmeralda.

Serene, You like Peanut cookies? I love Pineapple Tart leh but don’t know how to make that :) You also tried the bak-gua ah? Same recipe?? Oh … don’t asked about that day when I was making those … I was shouting like a crazy woman that day so it really too me one whole day just to make the 2 pieces of bak-gua …. As for the cookies, I wait until hubby comes back then only back until midnight lo. So tired …. Never do that again!!! About Angel clothes …… hahaha, ya lor …. Really bought too much already but sometimes really cannot tahan leh. Like yesterday go out shopping, cannot tahan then buy another one lagi …. So next time don’t want to go to bb department anymore la, I think you will face the same things as me too hor?? Coz bb’s outfits are too cute la!!!! I must control myself this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy New Year to you and your family too ya :)

Cath, hahaha …. That’s the different between bb boy and bb girl ma, kekeke …. Ya, try the bak gua recipe, I think you will love it :) Happy New Year to you and your family :)

the little prince said...

So lucky little Angel, so many little cheong sam!! BB Kyle not even have one sam fu!! :-) My hubby do not want to buy wow....dont know why....

1st time I see bak kua recipe...will try it later...

Last time before have Kyle, I used to do bulk pineapple tarts (about 50 tin)..as gift to relative n friends...now no more energy lor!!

Mummy Moon said...

Pai seh, I didn't make or bake any thing for my hubby and my lil ones.Must learn from you lahh...

Lydia said...

I made bak kwa with similar recipe before. I think the soy sauce taste is too strong. What do you think?

LittleLamb said...

U r very talented. How I wish I know how to bake cookies.....

and those traditional dresses...gosh so beautiful. When Angel wears them.... Gorgeous..

Esmeralda said...

I see... next time u come back u can speak Thai already.. haha..

MommyAngel said...

Yugene,
- maybe your hubby didn’t came across one which is nice yet :)
- Ya, you try the bak kua recipe, very nice hor …..
- Wow ….. you know how to make pineapple tarts??? 50 tins???? I sure pengsan liao leh.

Mummy Moon, Hahaha …. So I guess you are ‘lucky’ that you no need to sweat it out in the kitchen :)

Lydia, Oh …. You make the bak kwa as well ah ….. ya, I personally think it’s too salty and also a bit too sweet too …… so for the 2nd time, I cut down on the soy sauce and also the sugar, but they turn out not so nice compare to the salty and sweet version la …. Don’t know why leh? You have a better recipe???

Rachel, Hahaha …. I also first time trying la.

Esmeralda, hahaha … I hope so but staying at home most of the time won’t learn much of a new language gua???

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

SALUTE to you, my dear Caroline...

You really can try all the recipe with just see them once from online and you MAKE IT!

Share with me some of your food lah...

Oh ya, all the cheongsam is nice..The first one comes with the red bag?

MommyAngel said...

JT, you make me blush lah ... hahaha :P No lah, I know I am a bad cook and that's why I always choose the dummy proved recipe :)

Yup, the bag comes with the dress ... actually the 4th dress also have a jeans bag but I don't know where I put the bag already :)

Julie said...

Hihi...I suppose you can't resist to buy the costumes coz they are really pretty. Post up pics of Angel on each of the costumes yeah? She sure looks sweet.

2xMum said...

Err... mind translating the Bak Gua recipe ah? I don't know how to read in Chinese.. :P

Really salute to you lah! I did my peanut cookies also till midnight! Luckily, got my in laws around otherwise, i need to sling my Ryan on my back and bake the cookies liao! He's extremely clingy to me... sigh!

Kristie said...

wow that is so many cheongsams for angel :) lucky girl! i cant wait to see photos of her wearing them, sure look sooooo pretty and adorable!

wau, really salute u... never heard ppl making their own bak gua before! and ur cookies look lovely too, am sure it taste just as good!

MommyAngel said...

Julie, ok … will do ya but she didn’t manage to wear all of her CNY costumes :)

Doreen, ok … will translate it ASAP ya. Oh …. You are so right, trying to make cookies with a little one at home really is such hard work, no more for me coz once I scared liao :)

Kristie, hahaha …. I only make a few for hubby to taste la coz really curious that we can actually home make bak-kuah so want to do experiment lo :P

2ma said...

ur cookies look so yummy!!!

am looking fwd to view photos of angel wearing all her lil' cheong sam

MommyAngel said...

2ma, thx :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Caroline, you are not a bad cook..it proven with all the nice dish posted in your blog.

So does Angel likes the bag?

MommyAngel said...

JT, she didn't pay much attention to the bag la, just hold it for awhile then put it on the floor lo :)

MommyAngel said...

For Doreen, I have found a english version from My Kitchen of the similar but also improved version of bak-kuah recipe for you. Happy trying ya

http://mykitch3n.blogspot.com/2008/11/barbecued-pork.html

2xMum said...

Aww... so nice of you to get me the english version! Thank you!

MommyAngel said...

You are most welcome Doreen :)