Suddenly Angel is not only getting possessive over her belongings but also, she seems to be reluctant to share her food as well lately especially those food that she absolutely loves. Some parenting books did point out that this behaviour and being possessive is what a 2 year old would go through and would evolved through practice and maturity and hence at this stage, I will not be too worried about her actions but instead, hoping to constantly stressing the word “sharing” and finding way to help her understand the wonderfulness of ‘sharing’ part and not all of what she has hoping that one day, it will mean something to her.
Here are something that I would love to do with Angel and would like to share with all mommies who is in my shoe :)
“Tussles over a toy happen often when 2 preschoolers are at play. They can be fiercely protective of their possessions, and sharing is a skill that won’t come naturally to your child for another year or two. In the meantime, help him/her learn:
- Model sharing and use the word “Share”. “Would you like to share my cookie?”
- Break up fights by removing the object of debate and moving the kids onto something else: “The car needs to take a rest now. Want to blow some bubbles?”
- Casually point out big kids you see sharing.
- Hide favourite toys when other kids come to play. Twos shouldn’t be expected to let others use things they’re strongly attached to.
- Provide activities for playdates that involved a shared activity that each child can do on her own, like playing with clay or drawing pictures.
- Praise your child when sharing does happen. Positive reinforcement is a terrific teacher.”